Thread: doubly nice

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Default doubly nice

Attached Images Attached Images

An extra serving of "carrots!" I always think of carrots when I'm with oystercatchers. This pair would often engage in chase and were also very vocal about it. I was pleased to get both in focus. Despite the oystercatchers being virtually monomorphic, in general there are a few characteristics to determine gender with AMOYs: females are larger, longer bill size, and there are black flecs in the iris... Looks like the female is the bottom bird!
    DPP, levels, crop, sharpening...

1Dx
    840mm
    ISO 640
    1/3200

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Well captured Ann. Getting both as sharp as this and in flight is not an easy task. I like the black detail on the heads, makes for a great looking eye. Is that the sea in the BG, it looks very 'aqua'

Will

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice catch here Ann. . . It's nice when the birds cooperate, though it still takes skill to capture!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Ann. I love to watch the antics of Oystercatchers in flight. But it's very tough to get two or more sharp in the same frame and with decent flight positions. You've done it! And well exposed to boot. Nice.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by William Dickson View Post
    Well captured Ann. Getting both as sharp as this and in flight is not an easy task. I like the black detail on the heads, makes for a great looking eye. Is that the sea in the BG, it looks very 'aqua'

Will
    Hi Will, not sea but sky as sun was setting, there were some wispy clouds here and there that had lovely pinks....

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Pretty cool Ann. Both look nice and sharp and have good wing position. Looks like your trip to the Nick paid off. Sorry I missed you. Your white balance looks off to me and the birds look a bit cold and seem to have a slight blue cast to them. An easy fix for this would be to do the following. In Photoshop carefully select all of the whites of the open wings and tail and upper chest using whatever method you find easiest. Then inverse your selection by hitting SELECT > INVERSE. Then go to curves (Command M on your mac) and then select the dropper all the way to the right which is the white point dropper. Take it and click it on the brightest spot on the bottom birds upper wing. Instantly you will see the image change, the blues will look better, the blacks of the bird will look better as well. Then I would go into Viveza in NIK which I know you have and just add 5-7 points of warmth to the shot. Once that is done I think you will be very pleased with the results and your fine photo will take on a whole new look.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Ann,
    Fantastic frame! Always exciting to get 2 birds tack sharp in the frame! Even more exciting to get 2 birds in flight in the same frame!!
    I see a sharpening halo around both birds and the color balance seems a bit off. Both easy fixes,
    Gail