Thread: Caught by a cockle!

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Caught by a cockle!

Attached Images Attached Images

Tripod Canon 5D IV Canon 500mm f4 L IS II + 1.4TC III Auto ISO 800, (+1.0) 1/1250 sec f8
    ACR + PSCC
    This unfortunate dunlin had been captured by a cockle and it just refused to let go!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Well captured Jon. Lovely detail and a great moment captured. I like the POV. I hope you got closer for a head shot before the bird escaped

Will

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Good details, BG and prey here Jonathan. I'd wish for a more parallel pose, but sometimes the birds don't give us what we want!

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jon, nice timing, just wished you were a bit higher to get all of the clam in. I would remove the white blob on the rock. Personally I like to see a bit more 'blue' for a tad more richness, albeit not reflective of the time of day, and pull back some of the Contrast a little, as the finer detail is there.

Interesting capture Jon, should get that image out there.

TFS
    Steve

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice find, good timing to capture the birds predicament. Exposure, detail, and background all good. I also would take out the white blob on the rock. The image makes me wonder how the saga of the bird and the cockle ended. Thank you for sharing, Jon.
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Me thinks that the unfortunate Dunlin is actually an unfortunate Sanderling. Bill size and shape and plumage is wrong for Dunlin. Unless I am wrong ... Daniel?

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Morris View Post
    Me thinks that the unfortunate Dunlin is actually an unfortunate Sanderling. Bill size and shape and plumage is wrong for Dunlin. Unless I am wrong ... Daniel?

with love, artie
    Artie I bet you a nice bottle of malt that's a dunlin

Threads
    Thank You Posts

with love, artie
    Artie I bet you a nice bottle of malt that's a dunlin!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice image Jon, but I'll raise you a few IPAs that it is a Sanderling, and definitely not a Dunlin.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Ashton View Post
    Artie I bet you a nice bottle of malt that's a dunlin!
    Hi Jon, I don't drink ale or whiskey but I would love to make a small wager with you on the correct ID of the bird in Pane #1 above. Say 500 British pounds sterling?

LMK please :)

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Artie & Dan I think I have to admit I am wrong the dunlin has a longer bill, I was wrong - you are right, my apologies, this I think is a dunlin, as you quite rightly said Artie a different bill altogether:-
    Last edited by Jonathan Ashton; 08-14-2018 at 03:59 PM.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I think I have to admit I am wrong Artie & Dan the dunlin has a longer bill
    Bummer! Me thinks that you've got it right now. Dunlin on average has a longer bill with a down-curve at the tip. And remnants of its black belly when molting in summer. And the patterns and the colors of the individual feathers scream "Sanderling!"

with love, artie

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Artie & Dan I think I have to admit I am wrong the dunlin has a longer bill, I was wrong - you are right, my apologies, this I think is a dunlin, as you quite rightly said Artie a different bill altogether:-
    Thanks Jon. A different bird altogether. Not as plump and has some black belly feather. And here is a very fine point shown well by the two images: Sanderling does not have a rear toe; Dunlin does ...

with love, artie

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Jon. A different bird altogether. Not as plump and has some black belly feather. And here is a very fine point shown well by the two images: Sanderling does not have a rear toe; Dunlin does ...

with love, artie
    I have learned a few things Artie - thank you

15. Thanks Arthur Morris thanked for this post