Thread: Up a Tree

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Up a Tree

Attached Images Attached Images

I saw these lion cubs that were thought to be about 10 weeks old on my first night in the Sabi Sand Game Reserve, South Africa. Unfortunately the sun had already set and the light was extremely low. Due to their age, no flash or spot lighting used so I upped the ISO (I even shot a few at higher than 6400 but wasn't happy with them). Fortunately, I later saw them in much better light but not as playful. Isn't that always the way it works?

Canon 5D3
    70-200 II
    1/250
    f2.8
    ISO 6400
    HH, ff, curves, TK luminosity masks, sharpened in PSCC.

C&C welcome and appreciated. Thanks,

Rachel

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Small in the frame works well here because the cub is small. Love the blue eyes.

3. Thanks Rachel Hollander thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Rachel -- A very cute looking cub and nice timing to capture the moment. Those eyes are so expressive. I also liked that sense of motion on its paw. High ISO has affected the IQ but it is still decent enough. I am not sure abt the other cub in the BKG , but considering the moment its presence is not that distracting. Would have liked some more space at the bottom of the frame.

And it is always the case , good light and great moments are reciprocal to each other.

TFS !

5. Thanks Rachel Hollander thanked for this post
    Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello Rachel,

Cannot think of many things in the wild that are as cute and as precious as a little lion cub...maybe a leopard cub or a hyena pup:)

This reminds me, I have some images of lion cubs playing taken at very high ISO and with old gear many years ago and it pains me that I cannot share them in this forum, the IQ is appalling and noise is just too much ( BTW I cannot see much noise here). Maybe one day I'll get the courage to post them, if only to make you guys smile

Back to your image, timing is great and I take it you went as far as you could in terms of techs. Love the pose and those innocent blue eyes ( well, they won't be innocent for long...). Frame a bit tight at the bottom but I take it the cub was about to jump so you were getting ready, shooting vertical might have been a good idea but perhaps you did not have time to change.

I personally do not mind the busy environment Rachel, just tempted to crop a tad from the LHS as I find the yellow vegetation a tad distracting. The expression on the cub's face makes this image for me, mischievously looking up and about to take a leap, paw raised and all:) I also appreciate the space you gave him to look into.

A fun and very sweet capture of this little guy and it put a smile on my face - I bet you enjoyed this sighting tremendously! Thank you so much for sharing, appreciated

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

7. Thanks Rachel Hollander thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

A super cute cub trying to climb the tree. Comp wise, I think its fine and though the scene is busy it doesn't bother me much. More space below and a vertical would have been nice.

9. Thanks Rachel Hollander thanked for this post
    Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you all for the kind comments. Yes, I could have gone vertical in the field. I consider this more of a grab/record shot because of the conditions.

Thanks again,
    Rachel

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Rachel the ISO is a little high for the 5D III, but I like your results. The colours I found could be a little capricious at higher ISO , is it me or is the a hint of a magenta cast?
    I like the composition and the timing. I agree - cute eyes.
    Last edited by Jonathan Ashton; 08-07-2018 at 09:51 AM.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Rachel, 6400 on the 5D3 I think it can go more and from recollection, Haseeb as pushed it further, but worth pushing things.

In terms of framing, I'm not loving the central point, I would push it off to the left as there is just too much dead space there, plus, just it's too close at the foot, moving the camera down would have helped here, as you had plenty above, guess you are using the centre point. The habitat not ideal, but it is what it is and so we ALL have to make the best of it. Any frames later on without the cub at the foot may have been a better choice, just keeping to main cub. I also think at 1/250 there is some motion blur, noticeable in the front paw. The slight colour cast that has been picked up on, I think, has probably come from the Luminosity adjustment, pegging back the WB & Tint helps.

TFS
    Steve