Thread: Groundhog(wood chuck) Pup

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Groundhog(wood chuck) Pup

Attached Images Attached Images

This image was created in Ithaca, New York on 5/27/18 at 6:20PM. Image adjustments in Lightroom and Photoshop.

Hand held, Added canvas to right.

Canon 5D MarkIV
    Sigma 150-600 Contemporary
    600mm
    ISO 2000
    f6.3
    1/2000sec

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi John -- Nice to see a different specie from you . I liked that natural incline / decline of surface and the subject looking in that direction with intent. Would have liked the subject a bit more in the clearing especially its head. Blacks are slightly heavy IMO especially on the hand and nose . Greens look lovely.

TFS !

3. Thanks John Mack thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi John, really liked the Groundhog in the green environs. Nicely framed with good POV and details.

5. Thanks John Mack thanked for this post
    Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi John, agree with Haseeb, nice to see something different.

Love the low POV, but again I feel you need some more space at the foot, virtual legs. Having wet fur can sometimes can be an issue as it clogs and definition lost, but looks OK here. I think a few flower stems and highlights need to be evicted to give more prominence to the subject, an some more Toal range in the grass (perhaps a personal things?).

Added canvas to right.
    With a zoom you have the flexibility, or just move the framing of the camera.

TFS
    Steve

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi John - I agree that it's nice to see another species. Nice low pov but I also would prefer more room below and a bit less at the top. Of course, I would tame rather than evict some of the stems probably using the burn tool. There's a clear repeat pattern where you added the canvas on the right.

TFS,
    Rachel

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I think you are really doing a great job with these critters in Ithaca. I suspect you couldn't go much lower because of the the grass height (?) I would raise the darker tones just a little and possibly warm it ever so slightly.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I suspect you couldn't go much lower because of the the grass height (?)
    Jon, if John pulled out more he could.

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello John,

Just knew this was going to be a cutie as soon as I looked at the thumbnail, very well done! Super techs, great POV, subject tack sharp, nice colours too

I kind of like some of the flowers/grasses sticking out, IMO they give depth to the frame. Save for the white stem on the LHS and the yellow blob ( flower? ) in the FG on the LHS. Oh well, we all think differently so it's really up to you whether you wish to make any changes I do notice we all agree upon framing, would have been great to have a few more cm at the bottom (so how about a tad of canvas there as well?)

Really enjoyed this, not just an image of a different species but it's the way you captured it that makes it special for me: HA is perfect and just the right DoF (gives a nice 3D feel). Really excited to see more from you, hope you find time to go out there again this week-end and capture more images of your local wildlife, looks like you're having fun

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea