Thread: Five-striped Sparrow

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Five-striped Sparrow

Attached Images Attached Images

Walker and I did an amazing trip in his home state of Arizona. The goal of the trip was to photograph as many species as possible with a concentration on hard to get birds and owls. When the lighting conditions were too harsh we concentrated on finding life birds. I ended the trip with 11 species I had never seen before and with some truly amazing experiences. I have been a birder since I was 4 years old but can't remember so many close encounters with birds on a trip. Walkers local knowledge of the land and birds was invaluable. This Five-striped Sparrow was photographed near Madera Canyon. It was one of my major targets on the trip as there are only a handful of them in the United States. It was a life bird and of course a photographic lifer as well. We had prolonged up close looks at 3 of them as they fed down a canyon and then came to the top of the canyon to sing. The wind had picked up and wind was blowing the plant that they were perching on all over the place so we had to shoot high shutter speed to try and freeze the action. I have had this problem a bunch lately but I had to really lower the quality of the photo to fit the size restrictions so hope the quality comes through.

Canon 1dx mark ii and Canon 600 f4 ii + 1.4x iii. ISO 1250, F8, SS 1/3200.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Fantastic shot. People underestimate how difficult of a bird this is to see, let alone in the open on a killer perch. That little stretch of road was good to us (except the hooded oriole ) . No nits, looking forward to more posts.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Sounds like a rewarding trip. Fine detail and good direct light, great to get an uncommon species. A touch over-sharpened maybe?

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Colin these birds were very interesting. Every photo I have seen of them shows a drab sparrow that's nicely marked. In the shade that is how they looked. But in the sun they had a very metallic, shiny and colorful plumage with thick and coarse feather structure. This was sharpened less than my normal .5 and 100 using smart sharpen. Think this one was .4 and 89. I would guess that's what you are seeing but of course I'm not sure what monitor you are viewing this on.
    Last edited by Isaac Grant; 08-01-2018 at 11:05 PM.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Isaac, dual Dell U2717D mosaic 5120x1440. That's the problem with commenting not knowing the bird! Thanks for the explanation.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Fabulous singing pose of this uncommon sparrow. Nice perch and BG too. I also noticed the sharpness; not oversharp but on the edge.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Isaac, the sharpness looks ok here. Lovely pose and the open bill adds. I like the perch and the OOF branch and leaves matches the perch well. Good pose on the bird and lovely POV. I wish the tail was in focus, but very nice as is. Good work and congrats on your lifer.

Will

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice singing pose on the bird. Details looks great. The composition is nice as well.

Lifetime Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Way to go on this lifer, Isaac. Great looking sparrow and nice fine feather detail. Like the BG as well.

Geoffrey

http://500px.com/geoffreymontagu

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice singing pose and detail,a beautiful shot in natural setting.