Thread: Peacock at the zoo

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Peacock at the zoo

I got this nice Peacock profile at the zoo today while testing the sub-mirror fix on my 1D Mark III. I don't tend to post a lot of captive bird shots, but I kind of liked this one. Although it looks a little oversharpened, I applied almost no sharpening to the image. It was sharp to begin with, and combined with the iridescence of the bird, looks hyper-sharp.

Canon 1D Mark III, 500 f/4 IS, f/7.1, 1/3200, ISO 800, handheld

Last edited by Doug Brown; 01-08-2008 at 11:59 PM.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Doug
    The zoo is usually the first place I head when I have a new camera or lens so your trip to check out the fixed MkIII makes a lot of sense. The image has wonderful detail and color. The blues of the Peacomb look great against the neutral BG. It sure looks good to me. So......what do you think of the fix? I'm still holding out with the purchase.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Most of my stuff yesterday was extremely sharp. All of it was handheld too. I just wasn't able to get much in the way of flight shots. Personally, I think the Mark III is a superior camera (and I have since the day I bought it, which was when they first came out). I'm going to get the repaired body out to Bosque del Apache soon and test it on BIF.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Doug,

I hope you are doing well. This is a fine portrait of this colorful Peacock. The oof bg sets it off nicely.

I sent my 1D3 in on Friday and used my 1D2N the same day. I never had a problem with my 1D3, but decided to get the fix anyway in case I ever want to sell it. I noticed that the Af performance for BIF with the 1D2N is way worse than the 1D3. I didn't notice the difference as much when I went from the 1D2N to the 1D3, but going back to the 1D2N after becoming used to the 1D3 was a big step down.
    Jim Neiger - Kissimmee, Florida

Get the Book: Flight Plan - How to Photograph Birds in Flight
    Please visit my website: www.flightschoolphotography.com 3 spots remaining for Alaska bald eagles workshop.