Thread: Cheetah at kill

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Cheetah at kill

Attached Images Attached Images

Canon 1DX Canon 500mm f4 L IS II ISO 4000, 1/1250 sec f5.6
    ACR + PSCC

I have previously posted an image of this cheetah or his brother who had recently killed a young zebra. I like the way he appears to be weighing up the scene in front of him.

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jon - I think he is checking out whether you are a threat to his enjoying his meal. Love the eye contact. I wish he ducked a little lower so that the leaves were not blocking the head but not a deal breaker and typical of nature to be uncooperative. I like the rainy season greens. There's a bit of magenta to the fg that I would reduce if it were mine. Some of the blacks are a little heavy. I'm finding that is sometimes happening when I sharpen with unsharp mask after resizing for posting.

TFS,
    Rachel

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Rachel l see the magenta now you said it, I wasn't entirely happy, a pal of mine has been looking at some of my images and he thinks the colours are out. Going to read up about Macbeth charts and calibration, but I am not sure if it only works on each separate scene, i.e. I doubt one calibration "fits all".

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

HI Jonathan -- I liked the gaze here and the green settings . Would have liked the Cheetah's head without those leaves but not a deal breaker. Yes the magenta is there, should be an easy fix for you. The finer details are lacking IMO and I also see some noise in the underbelly of the Cheetah. But a nice scene nonetheless.
    TFS !

Threads
    Thank You Posts

The finer details are lacking IMO and I also see some noise in the underbelly of the Cheetah - Thanks Haseeb, agreed, probably due to the crop and ISO setting.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice direct eye contact. The diffused light brings out detail in everything. Is that another cheetah on the right behind the bush?

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by John Mack View Post
    Nice direct eye contact. The diffused light brings out detail in everything. Is that another cheetah on the right behind the bush?
    Hi John yes that's his brother.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jon, a nice stare from the Cheetah with Kill looking down your lens. Agree on the leaves and the other points raised by Rachel and Haseeb.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jon, framing I very much like, but IQ isn’t quite there and yes, a slight tweak and colours sorted.

Due to Fridays massive storm it’s taken our ours & others routers, so won’t comment until I’m back on-line rather than iPhone.

Jon if you want to talk just call me or send a text.

cheers
    Steve

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Stunning pose from this cheetah, Jon! Great timing and the eye contact is just magic! Nice to see a bit of attitude from the species

I like the scene very much, just wondering what dictated this rather squarish crop. Is it not possible to include more of the zebra kill, I feel it could add to the "story"?

Regarding magenta cast, I see it too but it's not too heavy and I am sure you can fix it in LR ( not sure LR is part of your workflow though). I must say the leaves do not bother me one bit, IMO they add depth to the scene.

Another nice image from the Kruger Park, thank you so much for sharing! Hmmm...not sure I must tell you I will be camping there in October?

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Love the attentive & protective head on POV here Jonathan, not concerned too much about the magenta as it's very slight, nicely seen.

TFS