Thread: Smirk !

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Smirk !

Attached Images Attached Images

Hello everyone , thank you for all your C&C's on my previous post , much appreciated !

Here is an image I had made earlier this year. Sighted this female at the backwaters , which is not common among the tigers with little cubs to come out for drink in such open spaces especially during summer time. She was struggling with an injury on her left leg and was constantly harassed by another young female ( one of her previous litter ). But she still held on to her territory and was sighted around the backwater area.

Mods can review whether this image is eligible for this months theme or not because of the open bill stork and a black drongo in the BKG.

DPP 4.8, PSCC 18, WB, selective colour, curves, levels, NR, sharpening, cloned out a couple of logs running immediately behind the tiger, straightened so got cropped from all directions slightly .

Canon 1DX MK II, Canon 200-400mm f4 L IS USM, bean bag, 560mm FL.

1/1000 sec; f/5.6; ISO 2500.

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Haseeb the unfortunate position of the tree stump just spoils it for me - sorry.

3. Thanks haseeb badar thanked for this post
    Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Haseeb, agree with Jon to a point, I would also clean up the BKG just for a cleaner POV. The battered ear is rather sad, but the location is different to what we normally expect to see. As you had the ISO I'm just not sure if you needed a bit more DoF with the face? Don't forget to chime in on previous threads.

TFS
    Steve

5. Thanks haseeb badar thanked for this post
    Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Haseeb - I like the look to camera and the dripping water. The ear gives her a bit of character but I have to agree with Steve and Jon that the stump is most unfortunate and, to use Jon's word, spoils the image. I would also prefer that the stork not be coming out of the back of the tiger. For me this is on the fringe of the theme, technically within the rules but not the intent.

TFS,
    Rachel

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you Rachel, Jon and Steve for your honest opinion. As I said to find a tiger in such an uncommon kind of settings was something special. What I liked here was the backwater settings, the dead logs and the expression. Unfortunate to have that tree stump present right in front of the tiger's leg but that is what makes nature photography so tough. IMO it still works for me.

The battered ear has been her identity of sorts and again fine with me.

Agree with the DOF, but nearly it is there. And yes the stork was not intended and i too feel it is on the fringe to qualify for the theme .

I really appreciate your comments.
    Last edited by haseeb badar; 07-26-2018 at 07:56 AM.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Everything looks good to me.

9. Thanks haseeb badar thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Haseeb, a lovely shot of the tiger from Tadoba, i like the colours which look natural, the DOF and techs look good and the details are there to enjoy. Wish the stump was not there but thats nature! It doesn't bother me that much.

11. Thanks haseeb badar thanked for this post
    Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Dear Haseeb,

I guess the tiger is one of the most precious animals one can photograph these days so every opportunity and every sighting is super special - this is no exception.

Techs look good here. If this frame belonged to me I would perhaps consider a bit of a clean-up, not sure your ethics allow for it though so forgive me if I went too far The stump is a bit of an issue though and I am in two minds about it, I gather if it was closer to the subject and not so OOF it would have not been a problem?

One last thing, you mentioned the subject being harassed by a female from her previous litter - is this common/natural behaviour among tigers, and can you tell us more about it?

A very special image Haseeb and I enjoyed viewing, wish we could see those precious little cubs, hopefully one day

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

13. Thanks haseeb badar thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gabriela -- no prob with the clean up as far as it improves the image. As far as tigers being harassed by its previous litter is quite common among tigers as they being very territorial and any kind of infringement leads to a conflict , so the root cause of harassment was overlapping of territories and both females having young cubs.

And i surely be posting the images of cubs of both the females, waiting for next month theme to kick off.

Thank you for your comments and the RP , much appreciated .

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you so much Haseeb

So looking forward to those cubbies!

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea