Thread: Cape Buffalo (C)

Lifetime Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Cape Buffalo (C)

Attached Images Attached Images

Captured this image in March 2016 while on trip to Trinidad and Tobago. We were on a ranch photographing several different species of birds on a bright hazy day, and all the while there was a small herd of fenced in Cape Buffalo that seemed very curious about our presence.
    As we walked along the road between pastures, Bill Dix and I calmly noted that one or two Cape Buffalo was standing up ahead of us on our side of the fence. We were getting some great poses and takeoffs of a pair of Savanna Hawks, as were heard Bill's wife,
    Joanne calling us to get back. It's clear in this image the CB was sizing us up, and though I wanted to stay a bit longer, it seemed a better idea to start back to the car. He appears to be young to me. C&C welcome.

D4S, Nikon 500mm + 1.4TC, 1/2500 f 7.1, ISO 5000, Gitzo tripod.

B&W conversion in NIK SEP.

Geoffrey

http://500px.com/geoffreymontagu
    Last edited by Steve Kaluski; 07-24-2018 at 08:22 AM.

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Geoffrey - Interesting to know they are raising Cape Buffalo in Trinidad. He's definitely giving you a bit of attitude. He's a bit too centered for my taste and I would have gone vertical to minimize the man-made elements. I tend to look for more tonal range in my black and white images and the ones I choose to convert. Is this a large crop because the buffalo doesn't seem to have much detail?

TFS,
    Rachel

Lifetime Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

He's a bit too centered for my taste and I would have gone vertical to minimize the man-made elements. I tend to look for more tonal range in my black and white images and the ones I choose to convert. Is this a large crop because the buffalo doesn't seem to have much detail?
    Hi Rachel,

I thought by leaving him close to center in this instance, was more impactful. As I mentioned, it was a bright hazy day and possibly in the B&W conversion working with the color sliders in NIK SEP, could have been refined further. About a 20% crop.

Geoffrey

http://500px.com/geoffreymontagu

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Geoffrey, I might loose some space from the RHS and take the subject off centre. Having the two fence posts so dominate/prominent may work better portrait, tighter and so they flank/hold the subject 'in place', so to speak. Going to a B/W toned medium may have worked better if the environment was more 'natural', however the two posts are highlighted even more so, and as presented I find the posts & fencing too distracted, colour version might be better? Choosing to go to B/W is a totally different way of thinking and as presented the tonal range is thin and lacking any real punch & drama. Like the low POV, for me thats the best part, very good call. Techs look good and nice to see a Nikon guy pushing the ISO too.

TFS
    Steve

5. Thanks Gabriela Plesea thanked for this post