Thread: The lean Brown hare Lepus europeaus UK

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Icon1 The lean Brown hare Lepus europeaus UK

Attached Images Attached Images

Interesting..................... this particular hare came over to us several times on this shoot. It actually took me some time before I realised how many times he had done this. In this approach I went for landscape in the early incomming frames then he stopped very aware of me,I flipped to portrait. This is another of those incoming images taken in the later stages of his approach before I had to give up and just use my eyes. Mind it's not so bad not taking images when the hare is only a yard or two away,it's almost a treat at times to have something so fast and wild so close

Processed in DPP and then PSCC Canon 1Div ext 1.4 iii 400DO is ii 1/2500 f8 iso 2000 Hh sitting in a low kampa chair Image not cropped.

Thanks for the thoughts on my previous endevors

take care all

stu

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Detail on the hare looks good. The side light gives the image some depth. Maybe a little too tight overall.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

In this approach I went for landscape in the early incomming frames then he stopped very aware of me,I flipped to portrait.
    Hi Stu, this is where you need to pre empt what will happen and you were correct, no shooting landscape and cropping to portrait, well done. Yes, both you and the camera works quicker as the subject gets closer and I've covered this numerous times and I'm not going to repeat myself, however this is where 'instinct' kicks in. You should nail more with the 1DX, but you have to set it up how you want to shoot, don't shoot straight out the box. My settings will be different to yours as it will be to Sanjeev's & Jon's, but you have certainly made a big step and so your images should reflect this and where the older bodies just get left behind.

F/8 well you may have needed more, say f/11, but then you need to make other changes. Can't commit on colour or clarity as I'm away again, but I feel it needs a rotation. With a fixed lens track your subject, wait until it's almost framed, start to shoot and continue. With the 1DX don't set to max frames, you won't need it. The advantage, is unlike the 5D4 you can choose your frame rate, it's not tied. Like the low POV and the legs of the subject, nice not to have any distracting elements.

TFS
    Steve

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

A nice shot Stu, with good detail and those large eye are 'eye-catching' :-) Steve's RP takes this where it should be.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by John Mack View Post
    Detail on the hare looks good. The side light gives the image some depth. Maybe a little too tight overall.
    Your probably right John, fella is large in frmae and there is a definite case for no ext!! But as oft as this happens I still haven't got my head around the fact they will do this with me!!

many thanks

stu

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sanjeev Aurangabadkar View Post
    A nice shot Stu, with good detail and those large eye are 'eye-catching' :-) Steve's RP takes this where it should be.
    Thanks Sanjeev

stu

Lifetime Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

How great it is when wild beasts come in close to check you out, not to mention how fast this hare was traveling. I agree the side light gives nice definition, and Steve's repost adds a tad more detail to the shaded side. Well done.

Geoffrey

http://500px.com/geoffreymontagu
    Last edited by Geoffrey Montagu; 07-24-2018 at 08:25 AM.

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Stu - Next you'll need a macro lens for when they get closer . Obviously going vertical was the right choice here. You handled the side/mixed light well. Colors and tones look good. Steve's rp has taken this up a notch.

TFS,
    Rachel

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Rachel, macro....I know Ahh it's so funny Rachel,I tell myself I need to stay back a bit and it would be best to get myself a slightly longer lens When I do graft that out, the hares undo all my thought processes by coming even closer.

Rachel our brown hare is seeped in our folklore here. It has a reputation as a trickster,is that exactly what we are seeing ????
    I really do wonder at times.

Seriously though thank you all for the replies and thoughts for me to ponder.

Steve special thanks on the edit,I like everything bar that crop,which now sadly makes my hare wrong . Maybe only a guy that has spent the last few years watching hares might see that??? I simply know that lean should be there as he's banking in a left hand curve .But lay that aside ,the minute one levels this frame the jizz is all wrong the HA is wrong it changes how the image should be viewed,and sort of sends the wrong message to the viewer,terribly difficult to articulate mate,really difficult,actually!! But both of us that carry that knowledge see it instantly

For non brits, Jizz is a word used to describe the overal movements that speak to an experienced eye and allow id. It's little used but for me speaks of a skillset that builds and over time that allows accurate ID of a species even at a glance

Steve a little thing , a new camera will not make me a better photographer, it will simply help me out in the grey tis all. I'm actually expecting my images to go backwards a for a while ,it will take time for me to fathom out this new beast called a 1DX mark ii.

My apologies for the slow reply,new camera here and alot of digital research being done .

Steve thanks on the f11 noted well !!

Oh, finally, I am a simple man: if I have to crop a landscape image to portrait,I, as an image maker failed. Steve there is no get out of jail here for me. If I do this I throw all those pixels away,so I didn't make this best image possible ,in a given situation. Maybe that is harsh,but for me it's simple logic!! I'm utterly bewildered when I see image makers with so much talent and ability crop this way...it is easier though than being able to swap orientations fast !!

Thank you all so much.........

take care all

stu

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Steve special thanks on the edit,I like everything bar that crop,which now sadly makes my hare wrong . Maybe only a guy that has spent the last few years watching hares might see that??? I simply know that lean should be there as he's banking in a left hand curve .But lay that aside ,the minute one levels this frame the jizz is all wrong the HA is wrong it changes how the image should be viewed,and sort of sends the wrong message to the viewer,terribly difficult to articulate mate,really difficult,actually!! But both of us that carry that knowledge see it instantly
    That’s absolutely fine Stu, and if this guy has a slight ‘borrow’ to the left then no reason to change it, but no harm is questioning it. I do however think that we do need to think about our images after taking it and the manipulations we do and if it benefits the image ie straighten, flip etc then we should do it, it’s for me, making our images better. However if by levelling it it changes the whole character then again, leave it.

Steve a little thing , a new camera will not make me a better photographer, it will simply help me out in the grey tis all.
    Absolutely Stu, it just aids you to nail the subject with the advancements in technology, where before, with older bodies they have a limit to how far you can push them. Yes, you may marginally, go back because you will be learning things about the camera, but you still will be continually honing your skills along side refining the cameras settings and as both develop - so will your images. FYI even I found something new with regard to the MK2, something I never knew because one element doesn’t change until you make a mistake and change a menu by error. Racing at the time I wondered how you change it back, even with the manual, simple, but at the time frustrating, until you quietly think about it and then it stares you in the face.

I'm actually expecting my images to go backwards a for a while ,it will take time for me to fathom out this new beast called a 1DX mark ii.
    Shouldn’t do, it’s a medium size jump from MKIV to the MK2, mine have always been gradual, as I made the transitions via the change to each body in the series.

Oh, finally, I am a simple man: if I have to crop a landscape image to portrait,I, as an image maker failed. Steve there is no get out of jail here for me. If I do this I throw all those pixels away,so I didn't make this best image possible ,in a given situation. Maybe that is harsh,but for me it's simple logic!! I'm utterly bewildered when I see image makers with so much talent and ability crop this way...it is easier though than being able to swap orientations fast !!
    Stu, when posting on the internet IQ is less of an issue to a degree, not advocating sloppy skills, but if you want to print then you need as much as you can and so, shooting portrait instead of landscape is a good practice to get into.

Look up pages: 83, 132 orientation