Thread: A classy landing

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default A classy landing

Name:  Flared-incoming-gannet-28-june-1-BPN.jpg
Views: 119
Size:  583.5 KB

Another from Bempton cliffs (warning- there will be more!). The gannets can give some great poses as they come into land on a little outcrop, I especially like it when the tail flares out. We were fortunate to have a few of these landings to go at, but I prefer the ones with a fuller look at the wings.

Canon 1dx
    100-400mm ii @ 400mm
    ISO 2000
    1/1600th f6.3

Mike

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Looking real good Mike. Love the pose. The details look good. I was at the Bass Rock at the weekend, still to process. Hope I get something as nice as this, I will be happy.

Will

PS Am I seeing a slight magenta cast

Threads
    Thank You Posts

A fun image! Too bad you did not get a "fuller" view of the webbed feet here, but it does not break the image. Good control of the whites, and I like the grey BG.

BPN Limited Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Mike.

Bempton Cliffs is very much on my wish list and I hope to get up there later this year. Any tips and guidance for a newcomer to the venue please Mike?
    Like Dan and William have commented, the pose is great and it's a fine image for sure.

TTFN

Steve

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I hope there are more. Love the wing position here and the comp. Well done.

6. Thanks Mike Poole thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The splayed feet are just delightful here, Mike. Love that one dark feather in the tail too. Beautiful sharpness and detail all brought out nicely through effective processing. I really like the pastel palette and tonal range across this shot and processing that has maintained that subtlety. Works a treat.

8. Thanks Mike Poole thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by William Dickson View Post
    Looking real good Mike. Love the pose. The details look good. I was at the Bass Rock at the weekend, still to process. Hope I get something as nice as this, I will be happy.

Will

PS Am I seeing a slight magenta cast
    Cheers Will, I'm sure you'll have some good frames from Bass Rock, never been but looks a wonderful place. Where are you seeing the magenta out of interest? I tried an extra layer after you mentioned it and took all the magenta out in H/S/L and couldn't ee a difference but it'd be good to know if I'm missing anything

Mike

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Cadieux View Post
    A fun image! Too bad you did not get a "fuller" view of the webbed feet here, but it does not break the image. Good control of the whites, and I like the grey BG.
    Thanks Dan, we were lucky to get quite a few opportunities with various birds, and there always seemed to be one element missing - wing span or splayed feet or head angle. I preferred the first with the wings, but maybe this is better with the feet out wider from another pass

Mike

Name:  Flared-incoming-3-BPN.jpg
Views: 62
Size:  573.3 KB

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Budd View Post
    Hi Mike.

Bempton Cliffs is very much on my wish list and I hope to get up there later this year. Any tips and guidance for a newcomer to the venue please Mike?
    Like Dan and William have commented, the pose is great and it's a fine image for sure.

TTFN

Steve
    Hi Steve, welcome to BPN

Its a great place in the right conditions. Keep an eye on the sightings page for the RSPB as if you go too late in the summer you may find a lack of gannets. If you are going up and want some spots to try send me a PM and I'll share a few details there to avoid clogging the thread up. Cheers for joining in the thread and commenting, much appreciated.

Mike

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Yes! The second image is better in my mind. I love the lines on the feet and tail lining up somewhat. Thanks for showing the comparison image!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Mike

It looked as though the whole image had a slight magenta cast to it. No one else has mentioned it, must be my monitor. Love the second image.

Will

14. Thanks Mike Poole thanked for this post
    BPN Limited Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Poole View Post
    Hi Steve, welcome to BPN

Its a great place in the right conditions. Keep an eye on the sightings page for the RSPB as if you go too late in the summer you may find a lack of gannets. If you are going up and want some spots to try send me a PM and I'll share a few details there to avoid clogging the thread up. Cheers for joining in the thread and commenting, much appreciated.

Mike
    Hi Mike.

Thank you so much for the kind offer on Bempton Cliffs pointers - much appreciated.
    I'll get a pm off to you. :-)

Cheers!

Steve