Thread: Camera upgrade from Rebel t6i

BPN Limited Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Camera upgrade from Rebel t6i

Hello guys,

I have been shooting birds/wildlife and landscapes with a Canon t6i for the last 3 years while learning photography. The Rebel struggles with a few things like high iso performance, raw buffer (6 shots) and the autofocus can be a bit slow. Initially i figured the Canon 7dmkii would be a worthy upgrade for wildlife, but after reviewing specs i feel that the 6dmkii would be a pretty solid choice that would fix all of my issues and let me go full frame for landscapes. Am i crazy for considering this camera for wildlife? My main lens for birds & wildlife is the Sigma 150-600 Contemporary. I have included a link to my work below so you can get a better feel for what i do. Thanks for your help in advance!

www.claygphoto.com

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello Clay, allot of your decisions based on feedback you receive here will depend on your budget. To address your questions, the buffer on the 7DII will be miles beyond the rebel series camera you are using, and at 10 FPS and the more robust AF system you will have a higher likelihood of capturing a moment in an action sequence. You will not realize substantially improved "high ISO" performance. That is also relative. All other factors considered, I try and keep the 7DII ISO 800 or lower in order to realize images I'm pleased with. Those other factors include shooting at a fast enough shutter speed to freeze motion and mitigate image blur at longer focal lengths and an aperture appropriate to my subject. So about the 6DII; the FPS I believe are rated at 6.5. That's on the slow side. Also the AF system is ported from the 80D, including a configuration that groups the AF points tightly in the center, which places some limits on how you use the AF system to compose an image, draw focus or track moving subjects. Many here will tell you "lens before camera" with respect to investment. You might consider looking at the 100-400 f4.5-5.6 II lens. It is extremely versatile, and coupled with any current generation APS-C body will deliver images that I believe you will see notably higher IQ from. Cropping in to the equivalent FOV of your sigma should still realize better IQ in most circumstances. Final thought on 7DII: with a rumored 7DIII coming "soon" prices are pretty darn competitive on a body that delivers allot of bang for your buck. Good luck with the decision!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Sounds like you don't have much invested in Canon. I would sell everything you have and buy a Nikon D500 and the Nikon 200-500 VR. Canon's offerings are simply not competitive at the low end of the market, pretty much every camera below the 1DX series has obsolete AF and sensor technology at this time and not worth your dime IMO.

good luck
    New! Sony Capture One Pro Guide 2022
    https://arihazeghiphotography.com/Gu.../Sony_C1P.html

------------------------------------------------
    Visit my blog
    http://www.arihazeghiphotography.com/blog

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Although Nikon has better bodies at the present time, I would say that "obsolete" is an extreme strong term for the Canon line-up. Lots of photographers continue to create amazing images with Canon gear lesser than the 1DX line. If some people cannot get consistently good images with a 7DII or 6DII or 5DIV, or even the rebel line, then that is operator error 9 times out of 10 (not talking about extreme action, just regular "real world" nature stuff).

Having said this, I agree it is tough to suggest something without knowing your approximate budget. If you can switch to Nikon, cool and you would be happy I'm sure (until Canon leap-frogs Nikon in the future ), if not then any of the Canon bodies I mention above would be an upgrade to the t6i.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

You can get good images with any camera including obsolete ones and even an iPhone for some subjects. But when for the same $ you can get something significantly better it becomes an easy choice.
    New! Sony Capture One Pro Guide 2022
    https://arihazeghiphotography.com/Gu.../Sony_C1P.html

------------------------------------------------
    Visit my blog
    http://www.arihazeghiphotography.com/blog

BPN Limited Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I try not to get caught up in the Canon vs Nikon stuff.. that said i did look at the options including the d750 but in the end it would require me to replace my main wildlife lens (the Sigma 150-600) which would hurt my budget even more. In the short i decided on the Canon 80d since i felt it upgraded my shortcomings nicely and i could buy i new vs used and have the security of a warranty. I'm now going to begin working on replacing lenses over the next few years so that when i am ready to upgrade bodies again i can jump straight into full frame, be it DSLR or mirrorless at that point. Thanks everyone for your input, i took everything you guys said into consideration and it was a big help in making my final decision.