Thread: Humbug: Boar Sus scrofa uk

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Icon1 Humbug: Boar Sus scrofa uk

Attached Images Attached Images

This little orphan was hanging around some bird feeders hunting for food. I didn't actually feed,well I simply wouldn't feed our boar it's throwing up far to many issues here. But best to declare this from the off,I took a gamble that fella might try to get up on this rock as there might be bird food placed up there. Maybe lying on a sort of road wasn't the best idea,but things seem to work out. I won't dwell to much and the why's of little pigs being left without a mum,it's harrowing for me.

Mike has seen this frame previously,I've removed a couple of distracting grass blades from the base and added a bit more NR than when Mike saw it. Mike if you see this,I didn't get on terribly well with the patch tool, but had a good crack at it. I made a selection with the lasso tool and then used content fill aware in three different steps to remove the grass the results are as you see above...WDYT.

Guys this image is made HH lying down off elbows with my Canon 1div 1.4extii and 400DO IS ii 1/640 f8 iso 6400 it is not cropped processed in dpp and then pscc

My humble apologies for my absense,I'm off sick but have been incredibly busy grafting out hopefully a new camera body,so I thought I'd try and get an image up as I have a bit more time than normal.

Many thanks for the incredible help here with my previous images

take care all
    stu

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Dear Stu,

Glad to see you back on BPN Wildlife and truly sorry to hear you are off sick, hope you feel better soon and start posting again - we've missed you around here!

Cute little fella and I love the way he pops from behind the rock looking for food, I gather he is pretty resourceful and able to look after himself? ( Please answer "YES").

Good framing here Stu. Nice POV... err... your elbows must be sore from lying down BTW do you carry a little bean bag to rest your camera upon?

F8 makes sense but not sure 1/640s was enough here. I gather you upped the ISO as much as you could - was this taken with your new camera?

That cute button of a noice seems a tad crunchy. I shall not comment on colours as I have never seen this species before, just wondering about the IQ - you say this is FF but it looks like a big crop to me?

Looking forward to what the others have to say, I love the pose here and scene overall but thinking maybe you might have gone overboard with PP work, too long break buddy?

And no need to apologise for being off sick, just remember we miss you here and love to see your images, keep them coming please

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

3. Thanks Stuart Philpott thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Stu, this is a cute lil fellow & I like the pose. It does look crunchy a bit and opening up the mid-tones just a bit might help. Good use of high ISO and nice low POV.

5. Thanks Stuart Philpott thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hey guys,I'll look at the sharpening....with the iso at 6400 I tend to use neutral rather than fine detail in the picture style,which might have a baring or more likely I've pushed the sharpening a bit too far,thanks so much for the tips both i'll look at what I've done

Gabriela i'll be fine ,just run down and a virus and knocked me about,i'm hoping to be back working tomorrow and have a break very soon. It's just given me a chance to say Hello to everyone and post something. Mate this is with my 1Div,i'm nearly there for something a bit more modern,which will help me in these low light senarios I shoot under so oft...well hopefully It's been quite an eye opener this year as I've started to get chances under better(stronger??) light,how much nicer the images are I produce ( well I think so,naturally I might be dreaming) .

Gabriela I tend to almost always have gloves on,and rest my lens hand on said glove,but a great tip on the bean bag thankyou.

I completely agree on the SS,it's that same old story of maxing where I feel I can go iso wise and choosing which trade off to make, because I'm struggling for light.....................maybe 6.3 would have been better,but he was coming so close I opted for f8 and hoped i'd catch him still enough to make a sharp image. We'd had a few visits and drawn a blank,sadly this, our only chance, came late in the day.

I hope to be able to post more soon,I miss it here but have had so little time of late,mind the worst should be over now work wise,he he I hope !!!!!!!!

take care
    stu

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Stu - I hope you're feeling better soon. Does look a bit crunchy and watch the blacks and whites. Good low pov as usual. I would perhaps darken the urc with a pass of the burn tool, just at about 3 or 4 percent so it doesn't draw the eye but still looks natural. With a still subject and a steady hand 1/640 should be enough to freeze him. Having a higher ss prepares you in case the animal is on the move or you anticipate action. How close were you to the boar? You probably didn't need f8 unless you were very close.

TFS,
    Rachel

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nice Stu, ISO 6400 should be ok if initially well exposed to the right, I am a little surprised at the grain it's not bad but it is apparent.
    Regarding the image for enjoyment I'll give you 100% I think it's great, I can appreciate how much work goes into an image like this even though I have never come close to getting one. Well done for your tenacity.... hope y'all got some more humbugs!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rachel Hollander View Post
    Hi Stu - I hope you're feeling better soon. Does look a bit crunchy and watch the blacks and whites. Good low pov as usual. I would perhaps darken the urc with a pass of the burn tool, just at about 3 or 4 percent so it doesn't draw the eye but still looks natural. With a still subject and a steady hand 1/640 should be enough to freeze him. Having a higher ss prepares you in case the animal is on the move or you anticipate action. How close were you to the boar? You probably didn't need f8 unless you were very close.

TFS,
    Rachel
    Hey Rachel how ya doing? Rachel i'm fine ,a bit the worse for wear mind I was back working today, so expected, cheers for the thoughts.

Rachel, at times the little fella was very close Rachel,I have frames where the head all but fills the frame. Here, I think he is roughly about 10 meters/yards,my lady thinks closer than that though. Rachel I agree completely with the rest of your post,i'm often at around 1/500 with my late low light hares I know I can get a fairly sharp frame around this speed,provided the subject is still enough,naturally.

I honestly think in time i'll get closer to the "right techs" Rachel , I still need to hone this aspect of my image making further I feel. Another great little tip on the URC and the burn tool,thank you for including the 3or4% that is incredibly helpful to me

Thanks for the reply Rachel,very useful to me!!

take care

stu

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hey Stu sorry to here that you are not so well hope you are soon ok.Tec bits covered ,do like this little Piggy and the great pose you have got,bet they can be a bit skitty so very well done on the capture,certainly makes me smile.

Cheers Keith.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Ashton View Post
    Very nice Stu, ISO 6400 should be ok if initially well exposed to the right, I am a little surprised at the grain it's not bad but it is apparent.
    Regarding the image for enjoyment I'll give you 100% I think it's great, I can appreciate how much work goes into an image like this even though I have never come close to getting one. Well done for your tenacity.... hope y'all got some more humbugs!
    Jon,I 've just had a dig, the exp isn't too bad,it's actually better than I thought, when I get a mo,I'll have a look at what I did in dpp. I think I've missed something !!

Thanks for the kind words, hope you are well mate

We didn't get to go back after this, Jon, there were alot of kids bred this year. It's mum with her kids and time with them I'd really love Jon.........one day !!

stu

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by keith mitchell View Post
    Hey Stu sorry to here that you are not so well hope you are soon ok.Tec bits covered ,do like this little Piggy and the great pose you have got,bet they can be a bit skitty so very well done on the capture,certainly makes me smile.

Cheers Keith.
    Bless ya mate,i'm ok buddy clattered,haha ,but ok.Cheers for asking mate...... I hope you are good bro?

Keith, they can be from too tame to completely wild ,one just doesn't know at first what one is dealing with. This one very tame,hunger is more important than fear I suppose.

Nonetheless they are a wonderful addition to our fauna for us to make images of and of course they should be here................What the future holds will be interesting Keith!!!!

take care

stu

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice view of this little fella. Like how it looks like he is hiding behind the rock.

14. Thanks Stuart Philpott thanked for this post