Thread: Northern Cardinal Female

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Northern Cardinal Female

Attached Images Attached Images

Feeder set up. This image was created in Ithaca, New York on 3/16/18 at 9:36AM. Image adjustments in Lightroom and Photoshop.

Hand held, Full frame.

Canon 5D MarkIV
    Sigma 150-600 Contemporary
    ISO 1600
    600mm
    f8.0
    1/640sec

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Beautiful pose details and colors on the bird. The drops of rain are a nice touch. I think the slow shutter speed works here. I would move the bird a little up in the frame. Well done. TFS.

3. Thanks John Mack thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

There is something very appealing about cardinals in the snow. They go together like salt and pepper!!
    I like the diagonal line created by the perch.
    I would burn or clone in some moss to cover up the broken branch end on the perch. The one below the birds' right foot really catches my eye.When I do set-ups I try to have the broken branch ends facing the other way or I try to cut the branch on a diagonal with exposed area poiting downwards.
    I have even tried a grey marker and colored in the exposed area!(didn't work all that well!)
    The eye and face are sharp but there is just too much wing blur for my tastes.
    I think Juan is correct in suggesting you move the bird up in the frame.
    All in all, a very nice frame,
    Gail

5. Thanks John Mack thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi John, I have always enjoyed your winter settings with your various subjects. I like the finer plumage detail, pinkish beak, and the hint of pink/red on the tip of the crest. I'm with Gail on the motion blur - if she was flying no problem. Still, your winter setting outweighs the motion blur.

7. Thanks John Mack thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I really like the overall eshtetics of the image but I do agree with Gail in that the position of the left wing blur in this frame isn't to my taste. I think that same SS would be fine if the wing was in another position but in that sort of mid flap/folded position it is just too blocky to me. The tail wing blur is fine to me. I would also remove the one snow flake ball right at the back of the neck as it distracts me from the bird...the other flakes add to the image for sure. The colour palette is beautiful.

TFS
    Geoff

9. Thanks John Mack thanked for this post