Thread: A different honeyeater

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default A different honeyeater

Name:  IMG_5175 BPN.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  458.3 KB
    This is a Singing Honeyeater, photographed in coastal heath in southern Victoria early last year. We have more than 50 small honeyeater species in Australia. The soft light helps with this one. I have cloned out an OOF branch on the right but have left the situation relatively messy as I quite liked to overall look of it. I have also left the food remnant on the tip of the bird's bill but I'm sure some will want it gone. Crop is maybe three quarters of the frame area.

Hope you enjoy and as always, welcome any comments and views you are kind enough to share.

Technical: Canon 80D with EF100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Mk II at 400mm handheld. Manual exposure 1/500 sec, f6.3, ISO 1000. Processed in Canon DPP 4 (digital lens optimiser @ 50, sharpness = 2.5, crop, lighting adjustments, reduced luminance NR) then exported 16 bit TIFF to Photoshop Elements with Neat Image NR plugin. Modest NR to bird and stronger NR to background. Sharpened in PSE (Sharpness tool, remove Gaussian Blur, 0.3 pixels at 50% ) after final size reduction.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I love the Australian birds. Wish I was able to get there this summer but it didn't happen. I really like the color palette here and the perch. But I find the other out of focus stuff to the left and right of the bird distracting.

3. Thanks Glenn Pure thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Cool perch. Cool bird. Nice detail on the bird.

5. Thanks Glenn Pure thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice details on the bird Glenn. I agree with Issac about the distracting elements. TFS.

7. Thanks Glenn Pure thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

IQ on the bird is great and I like the color palette with the yellow flowers complimenting the yellow on the bird.
    Lovely HA.
    I would like to see a bit more space on the RHS- feels a bit tight to my eye.
    I am OK with the perch and stuff on the left but that OOF twig on the RHS extending up the frame and towards the viewer is unfortunate,
    Gail

9. Thanks Glenn Pure thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Glenn, I like the 'regal' pose, seems to be strutting for you. Good DOF for F/6.3, and the feather detail shows up nicely. The colours of the upper BG compliment the bird nicely.

11. Thanks Glenn Pure thanked for this post