Thread: Ele from a Mokoro Ride !

Hybrid View

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Ele from a Mokoro Ride !

Attached Images Attached Images

Hello everyone , thank you for all your comments suggestions on my previous post.

Here is an image of an Elephant taken during our Mokoro excursion. (For those who are not familiar) Mokoro is a boat ride in the okavango delta and we were fortunate enough to come across a big herd of elephants coming for a drink in that area. Few of them came right in front of our Mokoro and in the process providing us with a nice angle and settings.

DPP 4.8.3, CS6, WB, curves, selective colour, cloned out a small piece of vegetation from the FG , cropped slightly from lhs and on the top, sharpening.

Canon 1D X MK II, EF200-400mm f/4L IS USM @ 232mm focal length, HH.

1/2000 sec; f/6.3; ISO 500.

All your Comments and suggestions are most welcome and highly appreciated.
    Last edited by haseeb badar; 07-12-2018 at 07:52 AM.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Haseeb, I was waiting for an Ele pic from your Botswana trip, and this is a nice one with lovely low POV from the Mokoro. I like the drinking behavior with water drops as well as the details on the hide. TFS.

3. Thanks haseeb badar thanked for this post
    Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Haseeb - Lovely pov from the mokoro. I like the rich colors but would probably reduce the reds on the ele if it were mine. Looks like the light was harsh but you handled it well and brought out nice texture on the ele.

TFS,
    Rachel

5. Thanks haseeb badar thanked for this post
    Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello Haseeb:)

Nice techs and you framed this very well, I like it Great POV, good choice of DoF, detail and sharpness. Very pleasant BG and the subject stands out well against those greens.

Like Rachel, I too notice e a slight tinge of red on the Ellie but I personally feel it's quite acceptable - just thinking it could be due to dust bathing, colour of local soils?

The blue of the water is also quite strong, did you perhaps increase saturation overall? Just curious, not an issue to me as I like things on the "warmer" side.

Lovely image overall and I enjoyed viewing. Hope to see more from your Mokoro trip. Wondering what other species you had the opportunity to photograph so I'll be waiting patiently for your next post

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

7. Thanks haseeb badar thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great view of this elephant here. The low angle is nice. Like the water.

9. Thanks haseeb badar thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you very much for your comments .

Will look into the reds as pointed out .

@ Gabriela : I have reduced the luminosity of the blues to make it a bit darker as it was pretty much close to the colours reflected during that time.

11. Thanks Gabriela Plesea thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Love the low Mokoro POV here Haseeb, with the tail swoosh, ele hide detail and drinking droplets enhancing nicely.

TFS

13. Thanks haseeb badar thanked for this post
    Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Haseeb, certainly as mentioned in earlier posts, the mokoro gave you a nice perspective, but I'm not sure I would be happy carrying that 'lump' of grass in one.

With the slight head turn towards you, albeit slight, I might have added a little more DoF and upped the SS a fraction more to really freeze the water, but looks OK here. Overall it's a fraction dark I think, with the light everything would be lighter and as the day progresses not so saturated IMHO. The black in the shadow areas are clipped so be aware. The swish of the tail as Marc mentioned adds.

You really need to update PS Haseeb, you are shooting with a cracking bit of kit, but using out of date software isn't doing you or your images any favours. The updates are better and some subtle tweaks here and there, but having DPP current and not PS doesn't help you.

TFS
    Steve

15. Thanks haseeb badar thanked for this post