Thread: Black-crowned Night Heron

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Black-crowned Night Heron

Attached Images Attached Images

This is another species that I see all the time but never had a shot of that I was happy with. This Black-crowned Night Heron was photographed at first light along the New Jersey shoreline.

Canon 1dx mark ii and Canon 600 f4 ii. F5, ISO 1250, SS 1/2500. Note that the bit of posterization in the background is not on the original but appears after downsizing for BPN.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I think you should be happy with this one Isaac. Wonderful detail and setting, great pose and excellent background. That eye really stands out against the muted colours of the bird and contrasts with the green setting. I really like the way the foliage is drifting out of focus. For a shot at first light, it's showing only a little warmth of colour. Perhaps you have processed that way to tone it down? If so, and done globally, it may have cooled the colour of the background as it looks almost bluish to my eye as does some of the foliage. Not an unpleasant effect though. Composition works well.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Ooh...I like this- a lot!
    Love, love the light and the great perch and BG.
    I do not see any blue on my screen.
    IQ rocks as always.
    No nits from me!

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Ahhh, lovely Isaac, love the light and how tat eye lit up, lovely BG and perch, perfecto!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great stuff Isaac, fab details and that eye looks perfect.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Beautiful shot Isaac -- I love the perch, BG, and pose from the bird. Details are great. Was this at OC? If so, great spot. TFS

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Yes Alex it was. First time I went there as I wanted shots of this species and Glossy Ibis. Did very well with both as that place offers unique opportunities. But you have to be very selective. I saw way too many people shooting everything that flew by. No way that will work. If you are exposed for an ibis and an egret or night heron flies by then the bird will be way over exposed. Opposite is true as well. Ibis come in and you are set for an egret and the ibis will be terrible. So I was very selective with what I shot. Think it really helped me to come away with some quality frames and helped me get 2 species off the list of birds to shoot.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Isaac great capture. I was drawn to the eye initially. I thought the color looked off. But checked one of my photos and it is spot on. What I like is the perch quite different from what I usually see.
    Here in Nd always in a slough with cattails and quite busy. Not too many evergreens on the prairies. Again great detail,sharp.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

This is gorgeous Isaac, stunning light, wonderful colours and nice clean BG. I like it!

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Lovely image, gorgeous light. A nemesis bird for me also but recently I have captured a few good images. I see the same at Circle B Bar Reserve with most photographers shooting every bird with no thought to changing exposure or the directions of the light. Thank you for sharing, Isaac.
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Top notch frame Isaac, lovely light, great perch, no nite from me

Mike

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nice indeed Isaac, I get the impression jut a little cold. I think the posterisation could be overcome with a little gentle adjustments to saturation/contrast, it is almost certainly as a consequence of shifting from one colour space to sRGB.