Thread: Blue Wing Teal 2

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Blue Wing Teal 2

Attached Images Attached Images

Another try at a Teal Shot from blind on tripod.Processed with ,Dpp 4 Photoshop,curves some eye work. Thanks for any suggestions.
    Canon 5D Mark 1V
    500 F4
    converter 1.4
    Shooting Mode AV Shutter speed 1/ 1250
    Aperture 6.3
    ISO 800

Threads
    Thank You Posts

This is a much, much better image, way to go! Compare the head angle here compared to your previous image and see how much more connected to the viewer the teal is. The strip of colour gone at the bottom is a good thing too. Let me suggest though that the contrast is quite strong - the whites on the face and the blacks in the tail and wingtip areas are both at their extremes and void of detail. I am certain you can extract those hidden details during raw conversion, try the highlights slider and the shadows one too (or something of the effect depending which software you use).

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Daniel, I agree the face looks too strong but I had a reading in the mid 230 range actually the flank is higher at 239. I agree the blacks are blown something is happening when I convert to a JPeg .To me the facial disk looks brighter than the flank but values don't read that.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

This is soooo... much better! I agree 100% with daniel's comments.
    The whites still have no detail which I cannot understand if you are at mid 230's. You are doing something wrong during PP.
    Are you increasing contrast a lot? Are you increasing exposure?
    Can you walk us through your basic PP?
    Gail

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Gail Dpp 4 no contrast histogram is near the far right in the fourth box,decreased exposure or brightness slider to get in the 230 range. Photoshop ,levels or curves depending on the photo sometimes setting wh or Bl point. If I need I reduce opacity on curves or levels. That is about it.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I have to agree with all that has been said. Shot is better than the other one. But still is not right. You have a better head angle now. The surroundings are great with nice calm and colorful water. I agree that the contrast is too high. The whites of the face are blown out and don't have detail. The blacks are too black and don't have much details either. These are really hard birds to get just right and to expose for. Maybe you could take us a bit more in detail through your work flow?

Here is a link to a blue winged teal photo I posted 4 years ago. Last time I had a chance to shoot one! But you can see details in the flanks and facial disc, less contrast on the bird and details and color on the dark areas. This is only to serve as what I think these birds should look like in nice and soft light. Once the light gets harsh then they become really hard to get right.

http://www.birdphotographers.net/for...ue-winged+teal

Also a photo posted by Doug Brown. Note the colors, contrast and darkness

http://www.birdphotographers.net/for...ue-winged+teal

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Isaac, I did look at the two and both are great. I do see more details in yours on the face.