Thread: Kite closeup

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Kite closeup

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi all. Went back to my favourite locale recently and noticed this juvenile Black shouldered kite in a different tree than before. It meant walking through knee high grass to get to it, but I was able to get quite close which was great. I think this is one of my sharpest shots so far. I decided on a portrait style orientation and cropped the lower part as the "perch" was too distracting. Hand held Canon 7D mkii, 100-400 lens at 400mm, f8, 1/1600th sec, iso640. Some pp in acr and PS, minor nr to background. Feedback always welcome and much appreciated.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice and sharp. The vertical comp works. I wonder what it looked like before you cropped it. Techs look good.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice bird.Clean BG.
    The big problem with this image is that the tail is cut off. Do you have another frame that includes the entire bird? Or perhaps an image that allows for a tight portrait to eliminate the perch?
    I also wish the bird was looking slightly to its right so that the left half of face and eye was not in shadow.
    Whites look good.
    Gail

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi John and Gail. I appreciate the feedback. John...the reason for cropping was due to the very busy thick branches it was perched on.
    Gail: I agree regarding the tail being cut off...mainly did that for the reason stated above. I do have many other shots with varying head angles, with the tail not cut off.
    I have just got back from another shoot at the same location and spotted the Kite on a much lower branch ...I was able to get even closer than before so will post the best of them soon. Cheers.