Thread: In the Footsteps of Giants

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default In the Footsteps of Giants

Attached Images Attached Images

Another experiment from my recent trip. I learned a new conversion technique, converting to B&W directly in ACR rather than processing the image as a color image and then converting. While in the Timbavati several herds of elephants converged and for a few days it seemed like there were super-herds everywhere and particularly in the dry riverbed. The elephants spent time digging down to fresh water. There were lots of young elephants who spent time playing too but often in the protective cover of the herd especially since they came relatively close to the vehicle.

Canon 5D3
    100-400 II @ 200mm
    1/250
    f8
    ISO 1600
    HH from safari vehicle, converted in ACR, slight crop for comp, curves, sharpened in PSCC.

C&C welcome and appreciated. Thanks,

Rachel

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

A nice conversion Rachel with a good experiment framing the little elephant between the trunk & front limbs. Good texture on the little elephant & tones. How about a Vertical framing with the trunk & front limbs only?

3. Thanks Rachel Hollander thanked for this post
    Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello Rachel,

This is very sweet, love the way you captured this little one sheltered among the elders. I like the conversion but still a bit curious what the colour version would look like.

Detail and sharpness not too bad for 1/250s, there is some blur at the end of the trunk but it works as it suggests movement And I am not saying you should crop tighter, just wish the legs of big mommy Ellie covered more of the RHS corner, I find that area a tiny bit distracting.

Overall a very special image and I enjoyed viewing something so fresh and original, love your experiments Rachel

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

5. Thanks Rachel Hollander thanked for this post
    Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Sanjeev and Gabriela. I don't think a vertical crop would work but a square one might though that might be a bit too much pixel bashing for me. I should have said that I went for f8 given how close the eles were and that I wanted the whole head in focus. I'm ok with the bit of movement in the trunk because they were walking by and I think this helps convey that.

Thanks again,
    Rachel

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

HI Rachel -- I really like these kind of images and the conversion works as well. I think the lack of ss has affected the overall sharpness in the ele and not just the trunk, the movement in the trunk is not a problem for me but the head appears a bit shaken to me. Also i would have also liked the vertical framing and had that been done on the field then pixel bashing would not have been required, but this frame is also nice as presented. Looking forward for more of your creative work .

TFS !

8. Thanks Rachel Hollander thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The though process behind this is great. Black and white also works very well. Nice how you caught a good view of the little one through the adult.

10. Thanks Rachel Hollander thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like your idea here Rachel, although I have to agree this is one instance wherby a square crop from the right might work. I think you've just got away with enough S/S and effective trunk movement.

I would consider darkening the mid/darks in the FG ele for a tad more tonal depth.

TFS

12. Thanks Rachel Hollander thanked for this post