Thread: Psychological Warfare

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Psychological Warfare

Attached Images Attached Images

Dear Friends,

I chose to share this image tonight because I wanted to participate in this month's Theme. It was taken many years ago and with old gear, so not sure it lives up to your expectations

The title pertains to this male lion and his attitude. I have spent a great deal of time with him over the years and always got the feeling he enjoyed terrorising the poor antelopes. At this particular sighting - even though his belly was full from the previous night's kill - he kept turning around and raising one front paw as if he was about to give chase. The wildebeests then panicked and burst in all directions, only to gather again and follow at some distance to observe his intentions. On a number of occasions I saw him chase springbok but half-heartedly so, this happened in the middle of the day so no chance he would manage to grab one... I just think it gave him some satisfaction

Hope you enjoy the scene despite the quality of the image. Processed in LR and PSCC and cropped about 40% of the frame (mostly on the LHS and bottom).

Nikon D3S
    Nikon 300 F2.8
    ISO 1000
    F5.6
    1/2000s

Hope you have a wonderful rest of the week! Thank you so much for viewing and I hope you find the time to give me your thoughts, be it of a technical nature or otherwise

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quintessentially African scene, with a good narrative to accompany it. I particularly like the dust being raised as the lion walks along. Adds a nice touch to the arid landscape.

3. Thanks Gabriela Plesea thanked for this post
    Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gabriela - I'm glad you posted this for the theme. It is a classic scene and his full belly is apparent. I like the walking pose and the kicked up dust. I would put some of the space you took from the lhs back for him to walk into. I understand that you wanted to include the space on the rhs for the wildebeests but it feels slightly unbalanced to me. I can also see a more pano version working because the sky isn't really adding much here.

TFS,
    Rachel

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

This lion looks like he means business. Neat story to accompany this image. Love all the dust and the out of focus wildebeests.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gabriela, this is very good with the lion striding on while the nervous Was look on. Techs are great and the colours oh so natural.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Lovely shot reflecting a typical African lion scene Gabriela! Not sure about living up to expectations but it's certainly a neat shot with clear details of the king of the jungle! TFS!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gabriela -- This is very nice scene with the tension captured beautifully. The dust adds to the scene . Techs and colours look good to me.

I too feel the framing is a bit unbalanced as it needs more space for the lion to walk into. But a lovely scene nonetheless .

TFS !

Lifetime Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Like everything about this superb capture, Gabriela including your descriptive behavioral story. The dust adds so much to the quality of the frame, and in such a perfect setting.

Geoffrey

http://500px.com/geoffreymontagu

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Thank you so much dear friends,

Here is a quick RP with your suggestions, much appreciated

Have a lovely week-end,
    Last edited by Gabriela Plesea; 07-06-2018 at 11:42 AM.
    Gabriela Plesea

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gabriela, I very much like it and it's a different perspective too. I'm sure you posted this before, but revisiting with new skills and PP isn't a problem as the techs look spot on.

Overall the light just seems a bit flat, so I would working to get more colour range back in, plus loose the white 'blob' in the trees to the RHS of the BKG.

TFS
    Steve

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you so much Steve,

I have several almost identical frames from this sighting and every now and then I try go back and process one better. Not sure what the "blob" is but I will check it out, funny I did not notice it when I was processing or maybe I am just so used to its presence that it did not bug me:)

Let me see what I can do about this, so fond of this image that I really don't mind spending a little more time on it. BTW I think my previous version was a B/W, I guess I prefer the colour one...
    Have a wonderful evening, and I really appreciate you taking the time to help with this one, many thanks again

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea