Thread: Another roo

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Another roo

Name:  IMG_3632 BPN.jpg
Views: 54
Size:  507.3 KB
    I was out for a walk in a reserve a short distance from home a few days ago chasing birdies but didn't get a lot. There were a couple of mobs of roos around though, all in search of a feed in the extremely dry weather we've had for much of this year now. This is a younger animal warily eyeing me from a distance with the Brindabellas in the background (a large range of mountains that runs west of Canberra and eventually further south into the alpine national park and ski areas south of Canberra). Not much I could do about the blown rim light but I liked the situation with the mountains behind. I think this is an Eastern Grey Kangaroo. Crop represents most of the frame vertically and a bit off the sides.

Thanks for looking and any comments you are kind enough to share.

Techs: Canon 80D with 100-400 EF MkII at 263mm, 1/640 sec, f7.1, ISO 1000. Processed in DPP4 and PSE using Neat Image plugin for NR. Digital Lens Optimiser applied in DPP along with lighting adjustments. Default NR in DPP reduced to improve detail. Once in PSE, I applied Neat Image to roo (at very modest level) along with some sharpening and stronger NR to background along with shadow reduction to the roo only. Sharpened after final size reduction (Sharpeness function; remove Gaussian blur; 0.3 pixels at 50%).

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Glen -- Very nice POV on this , makes the subject looks quite big and also gets a nice, clean BKG. Lighting is somewhat tricky and hence the HL is clipping on the rim, but still you have done quite well. Would have liked some more space in the direction it is looking but this one as presented still works nicely. Colours look fine to me . Nicely done

TFS !

3. Thanks Glenn Pure thanked for this post
    Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Glenn - I like the mountain bg and how the ears are going in different directions. I think the face can use a bit more sharpening. As you probably know, I really like backlit images and don't mind a tiny bit of blown rim light. However, this one has a bit too much blown hls for my taste and the blown hls are a bit too wide (rather than a very narrow edge), particularly in the chest area. I probably would have dropped the exp overall in the field by upping the ss and had a darker roo with more controlled rim hls.

TFS,
    Rachel

5. Thanks Glenn Pure thanked for this post
    Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Dear Glenn,

So happy to see you post again

Love the hesitant and almost quizzical look on the roo's face. It must have been such a lovely sighting, subject among golden grasses and those blue Brindabellas in the background. The mountains add a degree of tranquility here. A bright sunny morning with a little breeze, what better time to go for a brisk walk?

Glenn, I like this very much. A b it troubled boy those HL though - not familiar with the software you are using to process your images but just wondering whether it would be possible to reduce them in Lightroom to some extent?

Otherwise colours look good to me, nice textures in the subject's fur, BG is superb. Happy with the framing, should you wish for a less square look you could perhaps take a bit from the top.

Overall a lovely capture and I enjoyed viewing, thank you so much for sharing

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

7. Thanks Glenn Pure thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you Haseeb, Rachel and Gabriela. I wasn't aware you were a fan of backlit shots, Rachel so I've learnt something. Not much I could do about the blown highlights without underexposing as you suggested Rachel. I didn't try it for this one. As for recovering any detail in them, there's nothing there to recover, sorry. I always test by pulling the exposure back to the extreme low in DPP and can't seen anything to recover. They would just become featureless grey if I worked on this more.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Cool to see a kangaroo on here. Like the composition here. Agree about the highlights being blown. The background is very nice.

10. Thanks Glenn Pure thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Glenn, a nice image of an animal I am yet to see in person. I like the pose and the back light but agree with Rachel to reduce that effect just a bit. Nic eHA and habitat.

12. Thanks Glenn Pure thanked for this post