Thread: Red-browed Finch

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Red-browed Finch

Name:  IMG_3649 BPN.jpg
Views: 119
Size:  359.9 KB
    An aptly named species! I was working in a mixed feeding flock of small birds and this little chap popped on to a branch near me, posed for a few moments, then moved on. They are quite common and like most small birds, fairly hyper! I have cloned out a couple of twigs that were in focus or near so and a heavy branch just intersecting the bottom left corner (I do clone sometimes). They were just too distracting and I liked the shot enough to go there. However, I've left the other 'distractions' in the background - apologies in advance. It has been very dry here and the background is dead grass. This is a fairly hard crop and represents just over a quarter of the frame area.

As always, thank you for looking and for any comments you are kind enough to share.

Technical: Canon 80D with EF100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Mk II at 400mm handheld. Manual exposure 1/500 sec, f7.1, ISO 1000 (for once I wasn't battling poor light). Processed in Canon DPP 4 (digital lens optimiser @ 50, sharpness = 2.5, crop, lighting adjustments, reduced luminance NR) then exported 16 bit TIFF to Photoshop Elements with Neat Image NR plugin. Modest NR to bird and stronger NR to background. Bird only sharpened in PSE (Sharpness tool, remove Gaussian Blur, 0.4 pixels at 50%) after final size reduction.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

What a beautiful birdie, Glenn! Love the reds and the background color complements its tummy color nicely. I might have burnt its left leg just a touch but otherwise - perfect!

3. Thanks Glenn Pure thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Lovely colours Glenn. Very nice detail on the bird. I don't mind the OOF in the BG. I would have liked a better HA.

Will

5. Thanks Glenn Pure thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The BG would not have been as distracting had you been able to take a step or two to your left (if possible) - this would have given separation between the oof vegetation and the finch's face. As is I would burn the bright vertical part, but the rest is pleasingly blurred enough. Great bird that is fun to see in a natural setting rather then behind bars at a pet store. The reds have been rendered beautifully. I'd have loved a bit better head angle though.

7. Thanks Glenn Pure thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I agree with comments re BG and HA. This looks great for a quarter crop. Nice light and exposure.

9. Thanks Glenn Pure thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The bird's you post are very cool. I always enjoy viewing these. That red around the eye and bill is great. Maybe less of a head turn would have been better.

11. Thanks Glenn Pure thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you all for the comments. The opportunity was fleeting so I grabbed what I could including placement of background material and head angle.

13. Thanks Daniel Cadieux thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

What a beautiful bird. Thanks for sharing it. I don't mind the 'distractions'. Certainly a step left would have been nice but we don't always have that option. Still very nice as posted.

15. Thanks Glenn Pure thanked for this post
    BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice Glenn beautiful bird, might be nit picking wish the branch didn't intersect the bird. Nice one Glenn, maybe we look for to much perfection.

17. Thanks Glenn Pure thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Glenn. Seen many of these here in Brisvegus...but not captured one as clear as this. I'm ok with the oof backgound. Well done.

19. Thanks Glenn Pure thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The details and the reds are striking Glenn, the perch is nice and the BG good except the OOF vegetation but not a deal breaker.

21. Thanks Glenn Pure thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nicely done, any way you look.

23. Thanks Glenn Pure thanked for this post