Thread: Right angle finder

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Right angle finder

Hi all

I believe right angle viewer/finders are available for the eyepieces of some DSLRs but I know nothing about them. I'm a Canon user (80D). I'd appreciate comments from anyone with experience with this as I think this could make life a lot more comfortable for those low POV shots that most of us (me included) like.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Glenn,
    I bought one of these 4 years ago, used it once and put it back in the box where it still rests today!! I did not find it helpful at all.
    I found it hard to look through quickly when action was happening. Want to buy mine?!!
    Gail

3. Thanks Glenn Pure thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for that Gail. Experience counts for a lot. I'd still be keen to hear from others who may have tried this bit of gear. Will be in touch if I end up wanting to acquire one, Gail.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I ran 100% into the same thing as Gail. It was to much like looking through a telescope. I think
    the last time I used mine was back in the 20D days. If I need to get low, I just spread the legs
    of my tripod...bean bag...or whatever else that might be laying around. Plus, throw in live view
    if needed, its useless for me.

Doug

6. Thanks Glenn Pure thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

OK, seems this might be a waste of time and money. Sorry Gail, I won't be contacting your to negotiate a sale. Thank you both.

BPN Limited Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn Pure View Post
    Hi all

I believe right angle viewer/finders are available for the eyepieces of some DSLRs but I know nothing about them. I'm a Canon user (80D). I'd appreciate comments from anyone with experience with this as I think this could make life a lot more comfortable for those low POV shots that most of us (me included) like.
    is there some special type of photography you are doing that you can't flip out the rear screen and view the screen? or are you shooting at night and don't want the excess light?

9. Thanks Glenn Pure thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell Miho View Post
    is there some special type of photography you are doing that you can't flip out the rear screen and view the screen? or are you shooting at night and don't want the excess light?
    Hi Darrell, to use the screen, I have to be in 'Live View' mode and the AF speed in that mode is poor compared to viewfinder. Otherwise, it would be a no-brainer. Thanks for the suggestion all the same.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Glenn, greetings from SA.

It might not be the most 'useful' bit of kit, but it's always in my bag. If you get low really down on a river bank (below the bank, just above the water) where the kit is below normal vision through the camera. I've used it on zodiac's and for really low work and it's been great, even with meerkats the other day.

12. Thanks Glenn Pure thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Steve. Maybe I need to try one and see.

Hope you are having a great trip and catching up with Gabriela and Stu while over there. Have a great time and look forward to seeing some wonderful images once you are back.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I think you should Glenn, the best way to make a decision is an informed one, so please try it. It might not be something you use on a daily basis, but it can prove invaluable at key times.

Yep, left some very happy folk, albeit out numbered by Nikon, but Nikon got a run for their money and some scratching of heads, with ISO, sharpness and nailing the image where it counts.

Have a great time and look forward to seeing some wonderful images once you are back.
    We are Glenn, but it won't be an instant posting, time to reflect and edit.

catching up with Gabriela and Stu while over there
    Catching up with Stu & Colleen is a BPN institution, Gabriela because of the location less so, but she is just as sweet in person as she is on the Forum and a great privilege to finally meet her after all these years. She is a warm, generous and 'real' person, very refreshing and sadly our meet up was oh so swift, but we managed to do some things in our time together.

15. Thanks Glenn Pure thanked for this post
    BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hey Glenn, I'm coming across this discussion pretty late in the day. I'd be intrigued to know if you tried the Right Angle Finder, and what you thought?

I've been using one regularly for several years now and find it great for getting really low on the shore as Steve says. I wanted to try it and bought cheap off-brand product. I intend to switch to the Canon product some time, but this one is still working fine.

It has also saved me a fortune on visits to my acupuncturist to have repairs done to my neck and shoulders!