Thread: Baboons

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Baboons

Attached Images Attached Images

Although we had told our guide at Duma Tau that we were there to photograph birds, he insisted on showing off some of the other wildlife that Botswana is so rightly proud of. We came across a large troupe of Baboons one afternoon shortly before sunset, and sat spellbound for quite awhile, watching them going about their activities: teenagers scuffling, young ones cavorting on a nearby anthill, old geesers 'conversing', looking very wise and occasionally trying to stop the young ones from misbehaving, and this newborn nursing. We couldn't decide who the one on the right was -- a sibling, or aunt, or some other extended family member. At various times, other members of the group would come up to investigate the baby, sometimes trying to poke at it or pick it up, to the consternation of mama. I was particularly drawn to this image because of the way the pink infant stood out, surrounded by the drab grey fur of the others.

But I had some technical problems with this. A strong shaft of sunlight was highlighting the vegetation on the right, creating a serious distraction from the main subject. I did my best to tone it down, but I fear I wasn't entirely successful, making it look a bit overworked. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

D500, Sigma 150-600C @ 360mm, ISO 2000, 1/400s @ f/7.1 manual

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice moment here. You have a good view of the little one. The vegetation on the right does look pretty funky.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I love this feel of peace and quiet Bill. Quite a contrast to the noisy, busy lives that is characteristic of these animals' daily lives. Nice detail & sharp!

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Bill - What a sweet image! On my recent trip we spent over an hour watching baboons run, jump and play in the trees and on the far bank of a waterhole. We called it bush TV. So much fun to just sit and watch the antics, though the photography was difficult because of distance and mixed light. Unfortunately, the bush on the rhs does look a bit hammered. If you want to send me the RAW, I can take a look and see what I can come up with. As posted there's a blue/cyan cast to the baboons and some of the grass that I would reduce if it were mine.

TFS,
    Rachel

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Rachel, thanks for your help. When I get a chance, I'll have another go at it based on your helpful input.

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello Bill,

Delightful capture and I love the expression on the little one's face, so content and cosy there in mom's arms! A very special image indeed. Definitely worth another look at the surrounding vegetation as it does look a bit odd, colour casts mentioned by Rachel an easy fix for you.

Framing is great - an attractive frame and so loaded with emotional content. The message is such powerful, despite the fact that all protagonists have their eyes closed or looking away. I absolutely love it Bill, thank you so much for sharing!

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Here's another attempt at the baboons. I managed to tone down the bush while keeping a little more natural, I hope. I also adjusted the color balance of the baboons. Let me know what you think.

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Bill - I think it looks much better. The colors are better too, just watch the blacks. Glad you reworked it.

Rachel

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello Bill,
    I too think the RP looks much better - thank you for taking the time, it was certainly worth it

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea