Thread: Wild Dogs #2

Lifetime Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Wild Dogs #2

Attached Images Attached Images

This is another capture in the Okavango Delta from trip this past February. The frame is taken just before a pack of wild dogs decided to move on after cooling down in, and near the water of a small pan. As Bill mentioned, and Joanne and I agree, there were approximately 20 members of this pack. C&C welcome.

D500, Sigma 150-600mm C @ 157mm, 1/2500s, HH, ISO 1250.

Geoffrey

http://500px.com/geoffreymontagu

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Beautiful shot of one of Africa's most beloved animals Geoff. I'd probably desaturate the greens just a touch but that's perhaps just me.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Another nice shot of these beautiful dogs cooling off on the edge of the pan.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Like the whole environment here. The water is a nice touch. Most of the poses on the dog are good as well.

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Geoffrey - Lovely grouping of these members of the pack in the lush environment. If it were mine I would darken the greens and also darken the water/reflection. I would also reduce the overall sat slightly and give the dogs a little more punch. In the field I would have tried to shift the comp downward to get more of the reflection too. Any chance you took other frames that included more of the reflection? Here's a rp in which I quickly dropped the sat -5, darkened the greens, did a curves adjustment to the water/reflection and a curves adjustment to the dogs. It's probably a bit too far with the greens but I wanted the differences to be readily seen when viewed so you could get an idea of the direction.

TFS,
    Rachel

Lifetime Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks everyone. Rachel I like your suggestions and thanks for taking the time to work on the image. This frame does have more water and reflection, but cropped because it felt a little much.

Geoffrey

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Geoffrey - I'm glad you like it. Please don't forget to let us know in the intro if it is a crop and how significant a crop. It sometimes helps narrow issues down in the critique process.

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello Geoffrey,

I am delighted to see so many wild dog images in the Wildlife Forum and I especially like this one because of the interaction between the subjects - it shows what busy bodies they are:)

Nice subtle changes from Rachel, in terms of framing I am quite happy with the original post. Great techs Geoffrey, good timing here. Lovely behavioural frame, you should be pleased with this!

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Lifetime Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Gabriela.

Geoffrey