Thread: OVERSEAS FLIGHT/ CHECKING A LONG PRIME

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default OVERSEAS FLIGHT/ CHECKING A LONG PRIME

Any recommendations on travelling with and checking a 600 f/4? I figure a standard Pelican with very tight foam should be good enough. Is this what most of y'all do?

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I would never check my camera gear. I use the Gura Gear Kiboko 30 L backpack. It fits 2 camera bodies, my 600II , my extenders, 100-400mm II and my 24-105 and battery charger. My lens hood, gimbal head and tripod get checked.
    Gura Gear was bought out by Tamrac and I think the newer version is slightly bigger and has a spot for laptop. If you google gura gear the bag will come up. The backpack is heavy but fits in all overheads except DASH-8.
    If you need /prefer to use a roller bag, then the think tank airport is excellent but it does not fit in overhead compartments of smaller planes. Hope this helps, Gail

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

That's what everyone says Gail! I figured this would be the best place to ask whether or not anyone checks their gear - sounds like nobody does. Anyway, I have a giant Tamrac backpack that fits my camera with the 600 and tc attached. I may just pack that bag empty in my checked luggage and get a Pelican 1535 Air to carry on. Seems like it will fit most of what I need it for.

I'm going to head out to Kushiro (Hokkaido) Japan in the early winter. I've been to Japan a bunch of times, but never for bird photography. Pretty excited!

BPN Limited Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Grossi View Post
    Any recommendations on travelling with and checking a 600 f/4? I figure a standard Pelican with very tight foam should be good enough. Is this what most of y'all do?
    that should be more than adequate.

i try to carry all camera gear onboard, but sometimes that is impossible due to traveling with a lot of gear. if i have to check it, i use a lightware z600 soft lens case packed with towels around the lens barrell to keep it stable and then pack that in a Tenba 3-head Air Case. then pack whatever else i need, monopod, clothes, fanny pack (no camera gear in it), etc...

happy travels.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Problem solved! Pelican Air 1535. It's meets carry-on dimensional requirements and weighs just shy of 30 LBS loaded. The airline I regularly fly on (American) doesn't have weight restriction for carry-ons (domestic or international) so as long as you're not trying to lug something like 50 LBS + on board. Fits my 600 with TC attached, and 3 lenses or 2 lenses + body.

Name:  DSC_0022.jpg
Views: 414
Size:  530.6 KB

Threads
    Thank You Posts

The key is to know which airlines weigh your carry-on and which don't...
    New! Sony Capture One Pro Guide 2022
    https://arihazeghiphotography.com/Gu.../Sony_C1P.html

------------------------------------------------
    Visit my blog
    http://www.arihazeghiphotography.com/blog