Thread: Close up of Kumbha

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Close up of Kumbha

Attached Images Attached Images

Kumbha, male tiger, like a seasoned celebrity was unperturbed by more than 50 admirers clicking their camera shutter non-stop. What a sighting I also took some wide angle shots. Light was good and I was barely 10 feet away, so stepped down to f11 to get more DOF. Almost FF, image straightened a bit.

C&C welcome.

Nikon D850. 600 mm f4.
    1/640, f11, ISO 1800.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Sounds like quite the experience. Like the view of the tongue and the light does look nice.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi. Nice shot with great eye contact, and that tongue adds a bit nicely. It looks a bit 'crunchy' & contrasty to me. A bit of CC rotation of the image would be nice if you had the room.

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jay - Lovely low pov and the eye contact and tongue out really make this image. I'm surprised that your intro says the light was good because from the image has the look of harsh light with heavy contrast and recovered whites. The whites look a bit grey especially above the eyes. Also some of the blacks are choked and the hls hot. You can easily tell this in a levels layer by clicking on first the black point slider and the alt key simultaneously which will show the choked blacks and then the white point slider and alt key which will show the hot whites/hls. It's worth revisiting this frame and I happy to take a look at the RAW file if you want to send it.

TFS,
    Rachel

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Helo Jay,

Kumbha is one beautiful tiger

Lovely pose, eye contact and tongue showing make this image for me.

I read and agree with Rachels' critique above. From your intro I understand you already straightened a bit, looking at the water I am wondering whether it still needs some CC rotation?

Very special sighting and image, really worth revisiting and i look forward to an RP

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jay, I quite like the lapping water, but the FG rocks are an issue, f/11 I think was a bit much, however the blown or hot whites are your biggest issue, black less so as that is just a scout around and easily identified with the histogram in LR or ACR. You must check the histogram on the camera for blown whites and if available, set the enable function to highlight this so you can see ASAP an make the required adjustments. I'm out here shooting, first frame, check, adjust, fire, saves a lot of heart ache... In dropping your f-stop SS will go up and so if you are not pushing it, better to have some more SS to hand.

Jay I'm only popping in because I'm writing two back ups from todays shoot, but I feel you need to get to grips on the tech side and set up in camera, the 850 is a cracking camera that delivers, but you need to go through things and get it right.

All the best
    Steve