Thread: More Wild Dogs

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default More Wild Dogs

Attached Images Attached Images

After seeing posts from Gabriela and Rachel I figured I'd share this one. In February Geoffrey, Joanne and I and our great guide came across a large pack of wild dogs. I seem to remember that we counted 15 or 20 of them - the guide seemed surprised to see so many. I should take more notes; maybe Geoffrey will remember. [edit: Joanne got a group picture that seems to suggest at least 20]. Anyway, it was a warm day and they stopped to cool off in a wet area of the Delta, where we sat and watched them for awhile. Eventually, in ones and twos, they got up and moved off through the bush. Such beautiful beasts. It was great to see them so close and so natural. I frankly don't remember what I did with this in post. Comparing it to Rachel's recent entry, it seems more richly colored, but I don't recall if I added any saturation or other photoshoppery. It looks pretty close to the RAW file except for some cropping and sharpening. I suppose they vary a lot.

D500, Sigma 150-600C @ 240mm, ISO 800, 1/1250s @ f/7.1 manual. HH
    Last edited by Bill Dix; 06-28-2018 at 01:22 PM.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice frame of these guys. The standing one has a really neat coat. Details look good.

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Bill - It's always exciting to see wild dogs and especially a large thriving pack. I have been extremely fortunate to see wild dogs on 5 of my 7 trips to Africa and sometimes multiple times on one trip. For me, your image does look a bit saturated but I go to Africa during the dry season rather than the green season.

TFS,
    Rachel

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Bill, seeing your image and some others, now I am looking forward and hoping to see wild dogs in August when I am visiting Masai Mara and Samburu. I like the image sautaration natural or otherwise for the contrast it provides between the grass and the dogs. TFS

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello Bill,

I am so glad you posted this, lovely capture! I must admit I haven't had that many opportunities to see wild dogs despite the fact that we have quite a number of them around here.

Good techs, well exposed, nice attentive pose from both characters. Been thinking about the issue of saturation, the frame does appear oversaturated a bit but I still like the colours and vibrant feel. After all, this is the Delta and vegetation should be lush and green:)

In terms of composition I feel this is a bit too tight - wish you shot wider, the chap lying in the water needs more space I think.

Such beautiful beasts indeed...They are not shy of people and usually come close to the vehicle to investigate. You must have had an awesome experience, Bill - thank you so much for sharing with us

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Having seen WD in both dry & green season on many occasions, I'm confident the saturation/colour is pretty much spot on Bill, at this time of year they really pop from the lush green habitat, agree on a tad more room all round if you have it?

TFS

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Shah View Post
    now I am looking forward and hoping to see wild dogs in August when I am visiting Masai Mara and Samburu.
    Not wanting to put a dampener on your upcoming visit Jay, you'll be hard pressed to see WD in the Mara, (they do on very rare occassions race through but no resident packs here) but more of a chance in Samburu.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

A good look at the dogs Bill, nice green environs and habitat. Agree with a bit more room below. Always a treat to watch them. Had seen 11 puppies in Selous GR in my earlier trip.

Lifetime Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Like this one, Bill. Yes, I would say we saw at least 20 in the pack. This image was take shortly after the one I just posted, as they were moving on. I love the expressions on their faces. What a memorable few moments we had with these beauties.

Geoffrey

http://500px.com/geoffreymontagu

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you all for looking and commenting.