Thread: Stalking cub

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Stalking cub

Attached Images Attached Images

One penultimate image before I leave for SA.

Again, more cub's from the pride I had the pleasure of spending seven days with. This wee guy was stalking his brothers or sisters, just gently walking up slowly, before unleashing the speed and jumping on top of his unsuspecting family, building on his behavioural 'surprise & stealth'. Some may want more to the RHS, I'm OK as the tail isn't clipped and it's more about the face & stance for me, but adding some more isn't an issue. There was a clearing but the pride had camped under some bushes creating a softer, more 'dappled' light.

Thanks to those who posted or viewed on the last posting.

Steve

Subject: Lion cub (Panthera leo) stalking it's Brothers & Sisters
    Camera: Canon 1DX MKII
    Lens: 200-400f/4 MKII HH
    Exposure: 1/1600s at f/5.6 ISO1250
    Original format: Landscape, almost FF
    Processed via: LRCC Classic & PSCC2018

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve - Love the eyes on this one. Looks like he got a bit too close to the vehicle as I know this is not your preferred shooting angle. Yes, to a little more to the rhs and I would also tame the blade of grass below the chin.

Have a great trip!

TFS,
    Rachel

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Dear Steve,

Thank you so much for sharing this lion image. Wonderful pose from the little chap stalking its siblings. I too love the eyes and expression from your little hunter as well as raised hind leg showing movement.

Nice POV, colours look natural, detail is there and sharpness in good measure. The soft BG helps subject stand out so nicely.

Glad you did not clip the tail. You can add some canvas on the RHS at a later stage if you wish, right now your priority must be to tick items off your check list...time is flying

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The light on his face is perfect. Looks a little tight in the frame all around. The processing looks spot on as usual. Details look great.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

would also tame the blade of grass below the chin.
    Personally I would remove it, but just for the others could you expand on how you would tame it and do a RP, be good to see if not for Gabriela & John, thanks.

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I love the way you have concentrated my attention on the cub's head, I am glued to it! Regarding the blade of grass I have to confess I am a waverer on it. One day I would say remove it another I would say so what, that's nature, it was there, why do we always want to improve on reality, what harm is it really doing? if I did remove it my first port of call would be spot healing brush, if not happy I would try tightly lassoing it and content aware fill, (I have written a quick action so it is instantaneous) if that didn't do it I would try in combination with the clone tool. The problem may be that there is one principal offending stem but it crosses with a smaller one, this often where content aware fill can work well.

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Steve - No great secret on what I would do about the blade of grass. First, I would never remove it. I would lessen/tame the effect of it drawing the eye simply by applying the burn tool at about 3 or 4%. One or two passes should do it.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Steve, to take on the challenge, if I were to tame it, I would go all the way to remove it. For that I would use clone stamp to break the blade near the ground (between the paw and grass). And then try with spot healing brush.

Great light, inquisitive look, nice color gradation between cub and surrounding..I am wondering how come light always is good when Steve is shooting ! I would like to see some of your images at ISO 6400!