Thread: Rock Hyrax

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Rock Hyrax

Attached Images Attached Images

A Hyrax up-close at central Serengeti visitor centre area where vehicles stop for lunch. They are pretty tame and get pretty comfortable with human presence.
    5D III
    100-400 II
    1/640
    f/7.1
    ISO 1600

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

A difficult one at the is magnification, do you focus on the eyes or the nose or half way and hope you have enough DOF. I don't think at this magnification you would get nose and eyes sharp, I think you would have to move or zoom out a little. Having said that I think focusing on or in the plane of the eyes was a good strategy. I think the image would probably been stronger had you not zoomed in quite so much.

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Dear Sanjeev,

Around here we call them Dassies, they are indeed so cute and make great subjects to photograph

Love the pose here and outstretched paw as well as shiny inquisitive eyes! It is a pity you did not have enough DoF, nose is rather prominent and because it is OOF focus I find it rather distracting.

Framing works well, good colours too. I have to agree with Jon above - this would have been stunning if you didn't zoom in so much. Hope you have more frames in your folders, cannot remember seeing a Hyrax here in the Wildlife forum, so very special

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I have never heard or seen one of these. Pretty neat. You must have been close. Would like to see him on the right side of the frame.

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Sanjeev - With them as cooperative as you described I would have gone for more dof. You can up the ISO on the 5D3 and stopped down a bit more to say f9. It still might not have been enough but I would have tried for more.

TFS,
    Rachel