Thread: Anhinga (f) Head Shot w 2x

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Anhinga (f) Head Shot w 2x

Attached Images Attached Images

This Anhinga was nice enough to allow some practice using the 2x teleconverter. Looking at it after the fact, I wish I would have tried a few frames with a smaller aperture to allow a better DOF at that distance, but ultimately I sort of like the shallow DOF in this shot. Below are short rundowns of settings and my post processing:

ISO 400
    AV ƒ/8
    TV 1/400
    Focal Length 1000mm
    Manual Exposure / Servo / AF Point Expansion / Back Button Focus
    Canon 5D Mark IV and 500mm ƒ/4 L IS ii + 2x iii extender

Processed in DPP4 and PScc

I added a slight bit of canvas to the right as the original was a bit close to the bill, and cropped a bit off the top. I lightened the eye a bit and tried to darken some of the highlights on the brightest parts of the bill. I tried using a small amount of NR, but for the life of me I could not get an end result without massive posterization. In the end, I just skipped the NR step altogether.

Thanks for taking the time to look. As always, comments are appreciated.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I tried using a small amount of NR, but for the life of me I could not get an end result without massive posterization.
    Neil if the image is well exposed, using any NR with the 5D4 below, I would say ISO2000 you should not need it, and definitely below 800 not even on the radar. You must be doing something in PP to get Posterisation????

Threads
    Thank You Posts

You must have been very close for the DOF to fall off that quickly, even with the 2X, but the eye looks nice and sharp making for a pleasing effect. Especially against that nice dark BG. I've found that dark green gives me the biggest trouble with posterization if I do any manipulation of the BG in PS (brightening, painting, cloning), but you don't mention any. In any case the BG looks good to me without any NR.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

No noise visible to me on this one Noel. However, while a good practice shot it isn't working for me due to the limited DOF that you comment on yourself. Good to have the eye and bill sharp but I think more in focus is needed for a shot like this to work well. Otherwise, this looks pretty good with nice light and an effective composition

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for the comments and taking the time to look.

Steve - thanks - I'm just starting to use the 5D IV and I just instinctively already add NR as part of my PP. I'll start to back off the NR under ISO 1600-2000.

Bill - Yes I was right at minimum focusing distance, and no I hadn't done anything to the BG - I had just guessed that it would need some NR (I felt like I could see some noise in the dark bg)- my monitor is not the best and I think that hurts my ability to judge the post processing needs of some of my raws.

Glenn - thanks for the input. In future shots I'll use a bit smaller aperture at close distance.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Steve - thanks - I'm just starting to use the 5D IV and I just instinctively already add NR as part of my PP. I'll start to back off the NR under ISO 1600-2000.
    Hi Noel, apologies in the initial brief reply, just multi tasking and it was more of a 'knee jerk'.

I almost got the 5D4 to go with the two 1DX MKII's but held fire, nothing wrong, but I want to see if something may appear in September, or at least is announced then I can decide in which direction. It's a great camera for this stuff, action might be slightly limited as you have 'fixed' shutter rates ie 3, 5 & 7 unlike the 1DX, but the IQ is superb, bolster by some of the images I have seen from Jon Ashton who recently punched one too. If you have not already, get the battery grip, it's a must!!!!

Not sure on where the focus point was, but I would have framed the subject with the centre FP bang on the eye for greater accuracy, and used a spot FP rather than expanded. Also I would have gone for some more ISO, partly for SS and using the 2x any movement will be amplified unless on a tripod IMHO. In addition, but depend on what you were looking for/creating, but again I would also have gone for more DoF ie f/13+. Try and use the DoF preview button this may help you. For me something like this is more about detail & texture so I feel you can bring some more back into key features like the eye & especially the bill.

Overall it's a nice image Noel, it might be worth revisiting if you have time just to tease some more tonal depth & enhance some of the subtle features you have. Also just watch the subject and try and get it parallel to the sensor, the IQ will be better and also if the bill is angled slightly away, you'll need more DoF to bring it back and retain sharpness across the whole subject.

Enjoy your camera and have fun exploring.

Steve

7. Thanks Noel Heustis thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Steve - thanks for the reply. Yes, eventually, I'll have to get the battery grip. Also - yes on using the spot fp...I just started using that a bit more...much more difficult on flying birds but in this case it wouldn't have been that tough. These Anhingas are all over the place at Circle B where this was taken...I'm sure I'll have plenty more chances to get these types of shots correct. Next time smaller aperture (and check with the dof preview button), spot af, and higher ISO/ shutter speed to combat any movement.