Thread: Sleepy Fledgling Barred Owl

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Sleepy Fledgling Barred Owl

Attached Images Attached Images

I captured this image at Circle B Bar Reserve in Polk County, Florida. Comments and critique welcomed and appreciated. Thank you for viewing.

Nikon D500
    Nikon 80-400mm F/4.5-5.6 VRII AF-S ED + Nikon 1.4 Teleconverter III image captured at 550mm
    1/500 F/8 Matrix Metering EV +2/3 ISO 2500, camera supported by a monopod
    Post processed in Lightroom Classic CC and Photoshop CC 2018
    Cropped for composition and presentation
    Last edited by Joseph Przybyla; 06-24-2018 at 09:01 AM.
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

This guy had a rough night! Fun frame Joe!

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Joe, just love the setting, just so cool and what is even better is that the owl is so relaxed, good fieldcraft.

Although on a monopod I still would be wanting a bit more SS, but I think more importantly DoF, maybe f/11+, the bill is sharp, but as you start to go beyond the head it all tapers off very quickly. You be surprised how much SS you do need when they start to preen, I start at around 1/2500 to get stuff sharp. I also think perhaps the NR is a bit hefty, just too smooth and you need to think where you want it applied, hopefully applying it via a layer mask which will give you flexibility?

Overall the image it looks a bit flat - tonally, both in terms of light and richness, bolstering the midtones (not via PS that's pants) but with a Channels will help just to open up things. Use also the Exposure module & the Tonal curve in LR they work differently and one thing in your advantage, you don't have the crappy/shooty blacks that Canon have and then amplified via LR unless you know how to control it. Then you can bring some of the key colour back in toggling between the colours. I would also finally add some more localised sharpening too.

Joe, I have a soft spot for Owls so I'm rather envious of your location, would love to shoot here, may be one day, but just heading off to 'Bowie' country and this may perhaps mean more avian which will be a first, in between perhaps bolstering some teaching too.

TFS
    Steve

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

What a great find, Joe. Glad your Barred Owls have stuck around this year, and produced some fuzzy offspring. I usually hope to find them with open eyes, but this sleepy pose makes up for it. The midtone adjustment and extra sharpening do help to give it some pop -- maybe just a tad too much imo -- but you might do better working directly from the original.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great scene you were able to capture. Love the pose on the owl and of course the fluffed up look.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    Hi Joe, just love the setting, just so cool and what is even better is that the owl is so relaxed, good fieldcraft.

Although on a monopod I still would be wanting a bit more SS, but I think more importantly DoF, maybe f/11+, the bill is sharp, but as you start to go beyond the head it all tapers off very quickly. You be surprised how much SS you do need when they start to preen, I start at around 1/2500 to get stuff sharp. I also think perhaps the NR is a bit hefty, just too smooth and you need to think where you want it applied, hopefully applying it via a layer mask which will give you flexibility?

Overall the image it looks a bit flat - tonally, both in terms of light and richness, bolstering the midtones (not via PS that's pants) but with a Channels will help just to open up things. Use also the Exposure module & the Tonal curve in LR they work differently and one thing in your advantage, you don't have the crappy/shooty blacks that Canon have and then amplified via LR unless you know how to control it. Then you can bring some of the key colour back in toggling between the colours. I would also finally add some more localised sharpening too.

Joe, I have a soft spot for Owls so I'm rather envious of your location, would love to shoot here, may be one day, but just heading off to 'Bowie' country and this may perhaps mean more avian which will be a first, in between perhaps bolstering some teaching too.

TFS
    Steve
    Hi Steve, than you for viewing, commenting, and your edit. In regards to the shutter speed, normally I would have been much higher but the owlet was in deep shade and I felt I had to add light so as not to underexpose. I thought 1/500ss was borderline to hold it steady. The same for using F/8, although the depth of field was 41cm/16 inches. I still had to add +2/3 EV to get the exposure I needed. I checked the active focus point, it was on the face at the beak/bill, so the owl should be mostly in focus. I think the softness you are seeing is the soft fluffy, down like feathers of the owlet.

I worked on the image again trying for more tonality. This repost reflects that work.

P.S. Where is 'Bowie' country? I'm lost on that...
    Last edited by Joseph Przybyla; 06-24-2018 at 03:39 PM.
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Joe, to me being angled away, 16 inches wasn't enough I don't think, lets see what others think, hopefully Dan may chime in with some nuggets? I think you did everything right from the techs, may be it's just me, as I push the ISO at times to get the SS & DoF. Softness, it's hard to say from this as I agree with the downy look at the back, but feathers in front are not sharp, but obviously the Raw is the decision maker.

The RP is a huge difference and justifies the rework Joe, well done, hope you too think so.

P.S. Where is 'Bowie' country? I'm lost on that...
    South Africa Joe, one camp a bit more selective on species, another with hides and bush, so a mix bag, but only going as a friend is working out there and he asked if I was interested in joining him, but will also be at hand to bolster help for any Canon shooters and PP stuff with LR & PS. Aim to hook up with Stu B, Akos and Gabriela, so running before I land I think.

Hope you have more encounters Joe, happy shooting.

Cheers
    Steve