Thread: Gull chick

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Gull chick

Attached Images Attached Images

On landing, Jon and I quickly went to the backside of the island, in the hope folk would congregate closer to the landing point and give us a head start before it got too busy. Markers were left out indicating nest sites and clutches of eggs which peppered the rocks, so you had to be very careful where you stood, put your kit down or indeed knelt. I quickly saw three chick running about with no sign of the parents and so ID'ing is a bit of guess work, unless someone is up to speed on Gull chicks??? Jon & I think it's a Lesser black-backed Gull, but...

No blurring or softening to the BKG, it's all natural as the BKG was far enough away and the lens did a nice compression, plus I've left in the occasional bird droppings. Probably a 10x8 with less above might be a better crop option.
    When this one yawned I was amazed at the size of beak & tongue, it's huge in relation to the head I think?

Thanks to those who posted or viewed on the last posting.

Steve

Subject: Gull chick (Larus fuscus) yawning
    Camera: Canon 1DX MKII
    Lens: 200-400f/4
    Exposure: 1/1600s at f/7.1 ISO1600
    Original format: Portrait almost, FF, some cropped from the top
    Processed via: LRCC Classic & PSCC2018

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Love the yawn... the chick is definitely mottled for camouflage. Exposure, detail, color all look good. I wonder if you blurred the area where your watermark is, if not it would seem to be a band across the image. Thank you for sharing, Steve.
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I wonder if you blurred the area where your watermark is, if not it would seem to be a band across the image.
    Just OOF FG rocks Joe, hence the placement of the ©, I also was conscious it might be a bit too dominant too.

Cheers

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Steve - This is just a beautiful frame! There's so much to like: I love the placement in the frame; the soft colors; the yawn and pose are awesome; and the lichen on the rocks provide a nice colorful bg/fg setting. Sorry I have no idea on the ID and zero suggestions for processing...I love it the way it is.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

What a cute image. The yawn tops it off. BG is lovely and I wouldn't crop any off the top if it were mine; but maybe a 10x8 with a bit off the bottom? No help on the ID, but we did see plenty of "Less-backs" on our trip north.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Man look at that noggin! The yawn and tongue are very cute as is the pose in general. I like the setting and am fine with the the blurred rock at the bottom. Nice detail throughout especially on the legs. TFS