Thread: Game pup plays

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Game pup plays

Attached Images Attached Images

Of the three desert fox pups, only this one kept himself busy by playing with this feather. It was fun to see it pick up the feather, bite on it for awhile and then drop it. Come back and repeat the pattern. This image was made in Little Rann of Kutch, Gujarat, India. This is an extremely arid and flat land which becomes home to many types of migratory birds from November to March. Image was cropped and a bit of canvas added at the bottom for getting desired composition. Camrea RAW and PS CC. Shot from a vehicle.

Nikon D500, Nikon 600 mm f4, 1.4 TC.

1/1250 s, F5.6, ISO 3200.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Sounds like a treat to watch. The raised foot and of course the feather are plus. I think the pano crop works quite well here.

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jay - Interesting to see a different species. The raised paw and the feather in the mouth definitely add to the image for me. The pano crop works but how big a crop is this? The body of the fox looks a little flat and the whites a little muddled. I would expect the tip of the tail to be more white.

TFS,
    Rachel

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Jay it looks to me as if you have hammered the background with NR and or a little blur and the cub looks rather noisy. If you haven't got Neat Image I can thoroughly recommend it, you can quickly build bespoke profiles for your cameras at as many ISO settings you wish.

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Dear Jay,

Thank you for sharing your experiences with us! Indeed this is a very special sighting and a wonderful behavioural frame, what fun to see this little fox at play
    Techs look good to me and so does exposure. Pose and expression from this little one - just awesome! Composition a bit tight but not a big issue, I just feel you went a little overboard with PP work Unfortunately the extra canvas you added does show, seems you cloned by means of a single drag and as a result there's a repetitive pattern ( eg. leaf in the bottom R corner), this often happens when the source you are cloning from is limited. The noise reduction in the BG is also quite obvious, I am not familiar with Neat Image but I suppose worth a try?

Not sure what the RAW looks like, but maybe all that noise reduction in the BG was not necessary? I guess there is more you can do with this frame so worth another look, if you need help please drop me a message and I shall forward you my email address. My processing skills are limited but always happy to help with some feedback. Thank you so much for sharing, much appreciated

Kind regards,

Gabriela Plesea

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you all for viewing and comments. I have reprocessed the image. No adding of canvas. Cropped from top for composition. Have backed down on PP. I did have to increased exposure on the subject which increased the noise already there or made it more visible. So had to decide on trade off between NR and loss of details. Let me know how you see this versionName:  V2_cub-with-feather_DSC_1988---Copy.jpg
Views: 26
Size:  481.7 KB?

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jay, the noise reduction is still very apparent in its application and there is patchiness in its distribution. If you do want to apply NR selectively I think you have to be more discrete with it.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jay, the drawback with fixed lenses is that what you see is what you get and so you really have to be very careful in framing, ensuring you have enough space, however in the heat of the moment it's not that easy. I totally agree with Jon, firstly the IQ isn't there you needed a faster SS the image isn't sharp (or is that just me that thinks it?). The noise is quite significant and being almost square on to the sensor I am surprised at the image, I would have expected it to have been better?

I'm not sure if I have the time, but if you want to fire off the Raw to me ASAP I will try to take a look, but cannot promise it, as I'm flying in a couple of days and have lot to do before then.

Jay, if you are really serious about Photography and think you will be shooting more in low light than is light like Florida, then perhaps in the future a camera with better ISO capability might be worth think about. Not pixels as having more pixels can have it's own draw back, just a body that can copy better. Just a thought.

TFS
    Steve

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Steve, again wise words. Thanks for taking time for minute observations and comments. Much appreciated. I shared this image as sightings of fox pups is not common even for resident photographers. So I thought even though image is less than perfect, it would be of interest to our wildlife loving community. Cheers!