Thread: Boat-tailed Grackle (m) (Quiscalus major)

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Boat-tailed Grackle (m) (Quiscalus major)

Attached Images Attached Images

I captured this image at Circle B Bar Reserve in Polk County, Florida. Interesting fact, the Boat-tailed Grackles in Florida and the Gulf Coast have brown eyes, on the rest of the Atlantic Coast the eyes are yellow. Comments and critique welcomed and appreciated. Thank you for viewing.

Nikon D500
    Nikon 80-400mm F/4.5-5.6 VRII AF-S ED image captured at 400mm
    1/2000 F/8 Matrix Metering EV +2/3 ISO 2200 Auto2WB, camera supported by a monopod
    Post processed in Lightroom Classic CC and Photoshop CC 2018
    Cropped for composition and presentation
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Good detail and exposure on the blacks, I might like more room on the top than this crop offers. Nice image.

3. Thanks Joseph Przybyla thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

You were close to this guy. Like the composition and the detail on the bird.

5. Thanks Joseph Przybyla thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Hi Joe,
    Thanks for the eye fact! exposure is wonderful to capture all the colors on the grackle, they are a beautiful bird.

7. Thanks Joseph Przybyla thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Hey Joe - I love those grackles too. I love the detail and color on the bird as well. I think the background could use a little warmth and I thought the beautiful eye might be brought out a bit. I hope you don't mind but I took a crack at it myself. I brightened the iris and darkened the pupil just a bit (maybe too much); and I put the subject on its own layer and used Viveza to decrease the warmth by 10% and decrease the brightness by 10% giving the bg a bit more warm blue color. As this was a quick try, I didn't make a detailed selection of the breast feathers but I think it gets the idea across.

9. Thanks Joseph Przybyla thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I love the blue and purple sheen grackles have - our Common Grackles have that as well. Neat little fact about the eye, and speaking of which, both versions could have the pupil darker IMO. Nice close up overall. Just a bit more room above would be good.

11. Thanks Joseph Przybyla thanked for this post
    BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Noel Heustis View Post
    Hey Joe - I love those grackles too. I love the detail and color on the bird as well. I think the background could use a little warmth and I thought the beautiful eye might be brought out a bit. I hope you don't mind but I took a crack at it myself. I brightened the iris and darkened the pupil just a bit (maybe too much); and I put the subject on its own layer and used Viveza to decrease the warmth by 10% and decrease the brightness by 10% giving the bg a bit more warm blue color. As this was a quick try, I didn't make a detailed selection of the breast feathers but I think it gets the idea across.
    Hi Noel, thank you for viewing and commenting. You edit is fine, nice to shown different ideas and ways that all can learn from.
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks everyone for viewing and commenting, very much appreciated.
    Joe Przybyla