Thread: If the ice gets any thinner I'll have to start dieting

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default If the ice gets any thinner I'll have to start dieting

Attached Images Attached Images

Walrus from Svalbard.

D500, Sigma 150-600C @ 600mm; ISO 500, 1/3200 @ f/7.1 manual.

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Bill - Great to see a walrus on the ice. I only saw them on the beach when I was there. Nice detail and texture. You handled the mixed light well. There's a visible halo around the walrus where it meets the snow.

TFS,
    Rachel

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Bill have you added any NIK elements to the subject?

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Steve, I know I spent some time on the shadows and highlights in PS, and I think I added a tough of saturation. I don't recall using any NIK on this.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Steve, I know I spent some time on the shadows and highlights in PS, and I think I added a tough of saturation. I don't recall using any NIK on this.
    OK Bill thanks, it just looks around the folds of skin on that RHS where the strong light hits, a bit coarse & harsh if you know what I mean. Depends, but I might toggle between dropping some yellow & upping the orange to get more of a richer 'gold' plus the chest might be a bit more pink, however I'm just going from recollection and things do vary from subject to subject. If you are using Saturation add it in the Raw stage, PS is not as accurate, a bit like Curves in LR/ACR they are better than in PS, put in the same values and it's a noticeable difference.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

OK Bill, from my perspective...

So, you are shooting from a boat, not a zodiac based on the angle I assume, therefore you need a high SS to kill any vibration from the ship, albeit I think ISO400 would have been fine. The light is often quite harsh and with it reflecting from the snow can create tough conditions, especially as you found out, with HL's & deep shadows. I do think the subject is balanced in the frame however.

Now, my take:
    I'm unsure about the HL/Shadow tool, it may have helped the HL's a bit but perhaps added some contrasty/crunchy look especially as I mentioned, to the folds of skin. It's perhaps also created some more shadow to the LHS hiding some nice detail & form. I think also you could get some more colour back into the subject, especially in the pink chest. Just for an artistic POV you could get some more blue in the water to add some richness. There is some lovely detail on the edge of the pack ice which I think you could also tease out.

TFS
    Steve

Lifetime Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like this capture, Bill. Nice handling of the highlights, with good detail on the walrus. On my monitor it seems as if the whiskers and wrinkles in the neck are a tad over sharpened.

Geoffrey

http://500px.com/geoffreymontagu

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Bill, I like the expression --walrus seems to enjoy the sun light. Details and BG are also interesting.