Thread: Rack of Ribs (gore warning)

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Rack of Ribs (gore warning)

Attached Images Attached Images

The females of the Talmati Pride took down a male kudu during the night. When we found them the following morning there was not much left of the carcass and most of them were resting with full bellies. One lion decided to return to the kill and eat a bit more. The kill was in a drainage ravine with only a narrow opening between bushes in which to shoot. Taken at Djuma in the Sabi Sand Game Reserve, South Africa.

Canon 7D2
    100-400 II @ 400mm
    1/1250
    f6.3
    ISO 800
    HH from safari vehicle, small crop for comp, curves and color adjustments, sharpened in PSCC.

C&C welcome and appreciated. Thanks,
    Rachel

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

A strong image Rachel, very nice POV and those eyes draw me in. Love the frown and concentration from the lioness, I can almost hear her pulling bits of flesh from the carcass!

This is a vivid image with good colours and tonality, nice detail where it matters. Techs are good and you exposed well, judging by those slightly bright areas behind the ear I gather light was quite strong, despite the early hour.

I am tempted to crop from the LHS, close to where the carcass begins. I generally like a lot of negative space, just feel more space is needed at the bottom (where I imagine her chin to be) so I would try balance things.

Glad you are back and sharing with us your sightings, curious whet else is lying in your folders. This is certainly not gory for me...I have visitors and we had ribs for dinner tonight

Warmest regards and many thanks for sharing,
    Gabriela Plesea

3. Thanks Rachel Hollander thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Rachel, a cool image of the behaviour while eating. Like the eyes in good light and the frown. TFS>

5. Thanks Rachel Hollander thanked for this post
    Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Gabriela and Sanjeev, much appreciated.

7. Thanks Gabriela Plesea thanked for this post
    Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Rachel, I'm in agreement that the image does need some cropped from the LHS, it will help.

Personally I would have preferred the 5D3, IQ would have been better and I think being so close you needed a bit more DoF may be f/11. The light looks strong and the HL's look/appear just on the cusp. I'm surprised the subject is so saturated, but that the main ribs are quite flat in both tone & colour (I might have expected some richness in the rib cage radiating through) as per in the far right where you start to see more detail and light coming in? From the warning I was expecting a lot more, in terms of 'gore' , with the teeth hidden it think it may not need the labelling.

Good you got a kill.

TFS
    Steve

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I love ribs. Not these though. The lions looks pretty concentrated on eating here. Love the light on that eye.