Thread: Puffin in flight

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Puffin in flight

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi all,

Another puffin from the Farne Islands. Taken at Staple Island over the grass fields in light overcast. Slight crop, light NR to the BG, sharpened. I really have been enjoying the 300 PF for these type of scenarios and will post a short 'field review' of the lens based on shooting these puffins in a couple days if allowed.

Camera: Nikon D500
    Lens: 300 f/4 PF
    Specs: 1/4000 ISO 1250 f/4

Thanks for looking and commenting on prior posts!
    Alex

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Another great puffin-in-flight, against a lovely green BG, and with all the sand eels facing the right direction. Exposure looks good. I'm surprised you kept the aperture at f/4, but you can't complain about the results.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Well done Alex, not easy nailing these guys in front of any BG other than a light sky. Lovely flight pose. nice detail, and the BG works. And, very well done on the six head angles Nice one

Will

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Alex, you certainly got you eye in on these guys. Agree with bit about shooting at f/4, but it appears you got away with it. My only reservation is the sand eels, if the silvery skin isn't blown then I would try to retrieve some more tonal range which would overall help. Just a gut feeling, but to me the image appears a bit bright overall, I might just pull it back a fraction, don't just drop the Exposure as it will flatten things too much, do it back in LR. Remember Alex, certain controls in LR are more refined than using the same ones in PS.

TFS
    Steve

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice green background like how you can see the eyes of most of the eels. The composition is nice as well.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Details and pose are nice. Really like the green background. Colors are a bit washed out to me.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks all, I think f/4 was mostly a function of just quickly light, once things settled down a bit more I was at f/4.5 or f/5 I think for the rest of the day. I don't think the sand eels are blown so I can take another look at them, and try to bring a bit more depth to the colors as well. Thanks again, much appreciated, best,