Thread: Striking a pose for Jon...

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Striking a pose for Jon...

Attached Images Attached Images

Here is the same Grey seal that Jon posted, but a tighter crop. As Jon eluded to, we scarcely had more than a few minutes to get some frames of this subject before packing our bags and loading onto our boat. Something I hate doing and that is to shoot portrait and crop landscape as you just throw away so much data, but this works and so I'm fine. Also I'm really liking the 100-400MKII, super sharp too and is a definite for this years trips. Can't do anything about the shell under the flipper, well I could, but I'm not going too.

I went for less DoF compared to Jon, as I wanted the face to grab the attention of the viewer.

Thanks to those who posted or viewed on the last posting.

Steve

Subject: Grey seal (Halichoerus grypus)
    Camera: Canon 1DX MKII
    Lens: 100-400MKII HH
    Exposure: 1/2000s at f/5.6 ISO500
    Original format: Portrait, cropped landscape almost FF on width
    Processed via: LRCC Classic & PSCC2018

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve - Do I get to say I told you so about the 100-400 II? Lovely look at this seal with excellent detail and nice tones. Maybe a sliver more room on the left. The shell would stay for me too. It may be an optical illusion but some of the sand in front of the seal looks sharper than the sand in the field of focus under the seal.

TFS,
    Rachel

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve, I like the soft light and the eye contact here. Great detail and sharpness form the poor-lil 100-400 II :-) I like that lens a lot! It's a perfect pair for my 500 II!
    I would leave that shell as is. TFS.

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nice indeed Steve, throwing down the gauntlet eh? Yes I was another one who told you the 100-400 is an absolute belter.
    Focus looks spot on love those big dewy eyes and the beautifully detailed eye lids.
    (PC up and running had to reformat C drive just recalibrated and reinstalled PSCC but won't download the very latest version for some reason! Will post soon)

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello Steve,

Err...I never told you anything about the 100-400 but judging by this image it's a great lens

Indeed a fine frame with great detail and colours, as expected from you. Composition works for me and I really like your choice of DoF.

Cute little face (is this a youngster?) and lovely expression, inquisitive and slightly unsure, very sweet. Tried to enlarge and see what those beautiful dark eyes were looking at, I think it's you and Jon

Really enjoyed this, thank you for sharing. Sorry I have been a little quiet, a few work commitments kept me away from my computer form a day or two but I look forward to process and post something soon.

Rachel, I think the sand under the seal looks softer because it is more wet (soaked with water)

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea