Thread: Laughing Kookaburra

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Laughing Kookaburra

Name:  IMG_2030 BPN.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  410.8 KB
    An iconic Australian bird - and an excuse for me to put in a plug for the inaugural Australian Bird Photographer of the Year competition that I'm heavily involved in organising with our not-for-profit bird advocacy organisation Birdlife Australia (there's also a post from me on Workshops, Lectures and Events forum here) The competition opened today. As for the photo, I took it a few weeks ago next to a reserve not far from home. This kookaburra was intensely staring at the ground below looking for its next meal. By the way, the 'Laughing' in the title is the apt common name of this bird - clearly not laughing in this shot. Vertical capture with a little off the top, bottom and right for this crop.

As always, thank you for looking and for any comments you are kind enough to share - and hope to see some BPNers entering any Australian bird shots you may have in the competition.

Technical: Canon 80D with EF100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Mk II at 400mm handheld. Manual exposure 1/200 sec, f7.1, ISO 1600. Processed in Canon DPP 4 (digital lens optimiser @ 50, sharpness = 2.5, crop, lighting adjustments, reduced luminance NR) then exported 16 bit TIFF to Photoshop Elements with Neat Image NR plugin. Modest NR to bird and stronger NR to background. Bird only sharpened in PSE (Sharpness tool, remove Gaussian Blur, 0.4 pixels at 50%) after final size reduction.
    Last edited by Glenn Pure; 06-17-2018 at 08:59 PM.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Love these birds. Such personality. You have nice details here and I like the stare as it tells a story. The bird seems a bit washed out to me. And I would try and see if I could clone out the twig that cuts across the back of the birds head.

3. Thanks Glenn Pure thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Lovely looking bird Glenn, I like the detail and the close up you got here. The BG is a bit busy but thats OK.

5. Thanks Glenn Pure thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Love this one Glen. Great feather detail you got and I like the pose. Nice colours throughout, I don't mind the BG apart from that twig that Isaac mentioned. The bird looks very 'Australian' if you know what I mean.

Will

7. Thanks Glenn Pure thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you Isaac, Sanjeev and Will. I've reposted a somewhat darker version below. Hope I haven't gone too far. Sorry, but left the branch behind the bird.

Name:  IMG_2030 BPN v2.jpg
Views: 32
Size:  409.9 KB

Threads
    Thank You Posts

These guys are awesome. Very aggressive hunters too. The shot looks much better with a few points of black added. You might try bumping up the overall saturation too. Nice and sharp also. Hope I can get one of these guys this November as I will be visiting your country for the first time.
    Maybe I could PM you you for a few tips?
    Come join me for a Custom Raptor Workshop starting this November 2019- January 2020.
    P.M. me to inquire on dates, pricing and availabilities. Thank You.
    www.davidsalemphotography.com

10. Thanks Glenn Pure thanked for this post