Thread: Magpie Shrike female

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Magpie Shrike female

Attached Images Attached Images

Yet another from the Okavango Delta. I might have preferred a bit of space between tail and perch, but chose not to do any surgery on the perch.

D500, Sigma 150-600C @ 600mm, ISO 1250, 1/4000 (hoping she would fly) @ f/6.3 manual, HH.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Bill, seems you got your feet, well and truly wet, immersing yourself in the Okavango Delta, it's a great location and especially for 'Birders' in and around this location.

Personally I think your choice in not applying any 'surgery' was the right decision/course of action. Like the 'rustic' perch and also the transitional backdrop, but perhaps a tad less 'smoothing' (but personal choice). I'm just wondering if it could do with just a hint more exposure, say a third of a stop, and perhaps to make more of those saturated colours in the lower half, just adds that little bit of OOF.

Hope you get a chance to go back, it's a cracking location for sure.

TFS
    Steve

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Really cool tail, perch, and pose. I also agree that leaving the perch as is was the right thing here, as it has a ton of character. I also think slightly less NR on the BG would help, but as Steve said all personal choice. Looks like you had a great trip with a lot of nice shots. TFS

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I think you have been saving your best pictures for last!
    I really like the perch. And the wind blown white feathers are sweet!
    Great HA and love the pop of colors in the bottom half of frame. I like the BG as is.
    I think you could brighten the image a bit- either through exposure or brightness,
    Gail

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Love that tail. Nice pose on the bird. At first i thought the perch was too big but the more i look the more i like it.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Bill, beautiful bird, wonderful perch, nice background. On my display the image appears just a tad dark. I you are of that mind the protruding perch near the tail can easily be shortened in photoshop. Thank you for sharing.
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Bill, you've reminded me about some shots of these that I have. I did find them very hard to photograph not least because of the difficulty of handling the extremes of tone on them and the fact that I found them rather wary birds. Your 600mm has again helped there. Perch looks great in this one and glad you didn't do any 'surgery' and also excellent background but its darker tones have made it harder for the bird to 'pop'. I'd be tempted to lift the overall exposure on this (but mask out the white on the bird first leaving that untouched).

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Thank you all. Here's a version that's a little brighter.

9. Thanks Glenn Pure thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very cool subject and just as cool of a capture Bill. Looks great to me and love that green BG too. The repost look better and clearer. Well done
    Come join me for a Custom Raptor Workshop starting this November 2019- January 2020.
    P.M. me to inquire on dates, pricing and availabilities. Thank You.
    www.davidsalemphotography.com