Thread: African Jacana

Lifetime Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default African Jacana

Attached Images Attached Images

On an overcast day back in February of this year, I captured this African Jacana skillfully navigating its way on lily pads in the Okavango Delta. Interesting how it would travel across the lily pads moving at just the right rate to keep from sinking with each step. C&C welcome.

D500, Sigma 150-600mm C @ 600mm, 1/1000s, f 6.3, HH, ISO 560.

Geoffrey

http://500px.com/geoffreymontagu

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

What a great bird, and I love the flower in the middle and the raised foot. How low were you? The background is distracting to me, and maybe a lower angle would have improved things? Nice image.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Love the setting and the lifted foot showing those long toes essential to support the bird on the lily pads. The positions of the two open flowers is nice and draws my eye to the bird. Not so fussed on that blade of grass/vegetation intruding on the left. Soft light lifts this one too. Even though the body in angled away from you, you've caught a head turn towards you nicely. Would love to get back there myself - a truly wonderful part of the planet.

Lifetime Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Walker and Glenn. Walker, we were in a vehicle on a slight slope which was actually an advantage since there were scattered tall grasses lining the waters edge.

Geoffrey

http://500px.com/geoffreymontagu