Thread: Dunlin Waving Hello - Or Goodbye!

Hybrid View

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Dunlin Waving Hello - Or Goodbye!

Attached Images Attached Images

Dunlins often raise one wing on their breeding grounds for either territorial or courtship reasons, but here it was simply retaining balance after a wave hit it on the side. It did keep the wing up for a good second or so as you can see from the wave having all but dissipated at this point. F/9 was a happy mistake as I had been creating portraits from point-blank range and forgot to open-up again, but it was great to get the whole wing in focus.

Canon 7DII + 500mm f/4 II + 1.4TC III, manual exposure, evaluative metering, 1/640s., f/9, ISO 800, natural light, handheld, added canvas above, eye work, toned down the brightest whites on the flanks (burn tool).

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great one-wing-up pose. And I like the bubbles from the receding wave and the touch of green beyond. Although I like the nice bright whites, the image seems just a tad light to my eye. Maybe a touch of mid-tone adjustment?

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Nice grab Dan of the wing. I would also suggest popping more color... i like the grass line as well , would like to see a bit more sharpness on the head.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Well timed frame here. Like how the bird is slightly angles towards you. Nice low angle and the water is nice around the feet.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the high-key look (seems to be a signature feature for you) and wing raise. The setting almost has a stormy feel to it and invites a second look. Processing is very impressive but wonder if you could have toned down that highlight on the flank just a touch more? Maybe there's detail there but hard to see at this size.