Thread: L - M - S

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default L - M - S

Attached Images Attached Images

As we were photographing birds on a pan near Little Vumbura camp, a large herd of elephants lumbered in to drink and bathe. I particularly liked this small family group. What fun to watch.

D500, Sigma 150-600C @ 310mm; ISO 1250, 1/1600s @ f/7.1 manual; HH

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Bill I'm no expert on Elephants but these 3 frame fillers look lovely to me,stand out beautifully against that oof bg,like the head angles on the young ones shows them off very well,water droplets are icing on the cake,great job.

Keith.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Excellent Bill, love the POV and techs again look good, my only wish is for a tad more space all round and a 'visual' CW rotation. and a bit more tonal depth in the water.

TFS
    Steve

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello Bill,

Lovely capture and super pose from this trio of ellies. Colours spot-on and wonderful detail. Love the water droplets:)

Agree with Steve re. rotation as well as more space around the subjects.

Superb tonality on the ellies... those textures are fantastic!

Really nice image, thank you so much for sharing

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice setting of this family. You got nice poses from all of the elephants here. Love the water setting.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you all for viewing and commenting. I personally felt that it was appropriate for these large beasts to be shown large in the frame. As to the rotation, I struggled a bit with this, and think Steve has it right by saying "visual rotation". I think it is probably technically correct but because of the way the three elephants are placed it certainly feels like it needs some CW rotation; and I suppose that is what really matters.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I struggled a bit with this, and think Steve has it right by saying "visual rotation". I think it is probably technically correct but because of the way the three elephants are placed it certainly feels like it needs some CW rotation; and I suppose that is what really matters.
    Hi Bill, rotation is generally very easy, it just depends on what you use for your RAW converter. I personally prefer to rotate the whole image rather than cropping and rotating as I like to make that decision for cropping at the end, prior to output. To me than means I have FINAL overall control and if I change my mind or the 'Output source' is different I do not have an issue. What do you use?

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I love this Bill and what a great title.
    And yes to a bit of rotation. I would print this one for my wall as a wonderful memory of your trip!
    Gail

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gail bisson View Post
    I love this Bill and what a great title.
    And yes to a bit of rotation. I would print this one for my wall as a wonderful memory of your trip!
    Gail
    Thanks Gail.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    Hi Bill, rotation is generally very easy, it just depends on what you use for your RAW converter. I personally prefer to rotate the whole image rather than cropping and rotating as I like to make that decision for cropping at the end, prior to output. To me than means I have FINAL overall control and if I change my mind or the 'Output source' is different I do not have an issue. What do you use?
    Steve, I posted a reply yesterday but it seems to have disappeared, so I'll try again: I agree that rotating should ideally be done to the entire image. I use Capture NX-D as a RAW converter. I don't do much editing in it, other than exposure adjustment and maybe WB adjustment when necessary. As soon as I convert to PS, rotation is generally the first thing I do, using the Ruler tool, or sometimes Rotate/Arbitrary with just a small tweak. I agree that the act of rotation is easy. It is deciding when and how much, if there is not a clear horizon, water line, or reflection in still water, or other obvious guide. Then it just becomes a matter of "jmilg", and by that rule I agree that this image could probably use a bit.

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the colours and tones, I agree a little clockwise rotation. If cropped I would reduce crop slightly. Nice timing I like the droplets.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Jonathan.