Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Hyaena and cub

Attached Images Attached Images

Taken from car window
    Canon 5D III Canon 100-400 L IS II @ 400mm ISO 1250 1/1000 sec f8
    ACR + PSCC
    Colour balance, tonal adjustments, little dodging & burning.

The cub (or is it a pup?) was larking about and the adult was resting, suddenly something caught the adult's attention and it became uneasy.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The cub (or is it a pup?)
    To me Jon, as it's part of the 'Dog' family it's a pup.

Hard to tell on the laptop and as to wether it needs say a third of a stop of Exposure (-)? Good you kept the adults face clear, however it's a shame about the pup and being hidden in the grass. If you have it Jon then a sliver more below, although I'm not sure what is creeping in in the bottom LHC? Techs look about spot on.

TFS
    Steve

Lifetime Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Two cuties well captured, Jonathan. I like the pup in what looks like a playful hiding pose, and the adults alert stance after spotting something. I agree with Steve re adding a bit more space at base of frame.

Geoffrey

http://500px.com/geoffreymontagu

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Looks pretty good. I kinda like the pup out of focus.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Jon the adult looks really good ,I'm ok with the grass it's just natural,not sure about the oof pup,great pictures that you brought back from your trip.

Keith.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

What fun to see the adult with the pup. Too bad the pup didn't cooperate, but the adult looks good.

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello Jon,

Seems you have an unlimited supply of wildlife images, so good of you to share a spotty and pup for this month's Theme!

Good capture and I think the timing was great. Been looking at this for a while trying to "unpack" the image in terms of content here...Hard to tell whether this is the Mom but she is gorgeous and healthy looking, could be one of the aunties babysitting:) Pose is alert, those ears pointing backwards indeed a sign of concern. Pup was either playful (BTW is there another one in the FG, LHC?) or might have gone down to avoid danger. So a bit of nice body language here which I find interesting from the behavioural POV, framing works (maybe a bit tight at the bottom). I personally don't mind the little one hiding because it helps with the "story". Otherwise a well exposed image and colours look natural, nice details on the face of the adult

A few interesting facts about spotted hyenas, they form clans that consist of females which are related and their offspring. Males disperse when they reach adulthood. The clan is a matriarchal society in which the males are subordinate to the females which is said to be an adaptation to help inhibit male aggression towards pups. Pups are born pitch black and with teeth One more interesting fact, the power of a hyena bite is the most powerful of all mammals for its size: 800 kg per square cm! This enables the species to crush a thick bone with great ease in order to get to the nutritious marrow:)

Many thanks for sharing Jon, I really enjoyed viewing. Sorry for going off topic here a little but I love the species and find them fascinating

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you very much everyone, glad you liked it.