Thread: Superb Fairy-wren (female)

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Superb Fairy-wren (female)

Name:  IMG_2333 BPN.jpg
Views: 97
Size:  486.8 KB
    Another shot from a few years ago with my old 100-400 lens, showing it can do well in the right circumstances. Also with my old 700D Canon body. The twig in front of the lower legs isn't ideal but I liked the pose, overall look of this and the grass head in the bird's bill probably being used for nesting material. This is a fairly hard crop of about a third of the frame area.

As always, thank you for looking and for any comments you are kind enough to share.

Technical: Canon 700D with EF100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM (original version) at 400mm handheld. Manual exposure 1/640 sec, f8, ISO 400. Processed in Canon DPP 4 (digital lens optimiser @ 50, sharpness = 2.5, crop, lighting adjustments, reduced luminance NR) then exported 16 bit TIFF to Photoshop Elements with Neat Image NR plugin. Modest NR to bird and stronger NR to background. Bird only sharpened in PSE (Sharpness tool, remove Gaussian Blur, 0.2 pixels at 50%) after final size reduction.

2. Thanks Paul Burdett thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

looks good Glenn, I like how is hanging on to the twig (nesting material?) adds a touch of behavior. I'd clone out the lower OOF twig and the dead on up on top

TFS
    New! Sony Capture One Pro Guide 2022
    https://arihazeghiphotography.com/Gu.../Sony_C1P.html

------------------------------------------------
    Visit my blog
    http://www.arihazeghiphotography.com/blog

4. Thanks Glenn Pure thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Glenn. Very nice...I agree with Arash regarding the oof twig. For some reason I can't scroll...so the bird is cut off on the right side.

6. Thanks Glenn Pure thanked for this post
    BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Sweet little bird, very fitting name. Nice feather detail, exposure and color look good. I guess I would, as others have suggested, clone out the out of focus twig at the bottom. Thank you for sharing.
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

8. Thanks Glenn Pure thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great pose, and the nesting material is a big bonus. BG is nice but I agree about the oof twig. The sharpness seems to fall off at the top of the head, which surprises me at f/8 and a largish crop where I would have expected more DOF. But otherwise it's a very pleasing image.

10. Thanks Glenn Pure thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Glenn, love how the little guy is holding onto the perch with his left leg/foot. The diagonal perch works well, and pulling on the piece of grass in his beak, takes this up a few notches.

12. Thanks Glenn Pure thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Many thanks Arash, Paul, Joe, Bill and Stu. Agree that oof grass stem is distracting. I'm torn ethically these days with cloning stuff out. I still do it but not entirely comfortable about it. As for the top of the head looking less sharp, the RAW is OK but the whole thing isn't as crisp as I'd get with the Mark II lens I now have. I think it is just that the slight softness is showing up more there due to the lower contrast of the plumage on that part.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Very nice Glenn, sweet, and i echo the above suggestions.

15. Thanks Glenn Pure thanked for this post