Thread: Ovenbird

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Ovenbird

Attached Images Attached Images

I have been fighting my instincts to go to the same spots that I go every year and concentrating my efforts 100% on species that I don't have photos of. This Ovenbird was one of my targets for last weekend. From Eastern Pennsylvania.

Canon 1dx mark ii and Canon 600 f4ii, + 1.4x iii. Natural light. ISO 2500, F5.6, 1/1000.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I'd be very happy with this if mine, Isaac. Love the high-key looking background and that OOF flower on the left which is a nice touch. Processing is excellent and has really brought out lovely tone, colour and detail on the bird. The crop works for me but could imagine trying some other options too, like going more pano? Still great as presented.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Isaac, beautiful little bird, nicely shown. I like the composition keeping the bird small and including the out of focus flower. Techs spot on as always. Thank you for sharing.
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Well done to catch this elusive little warbler. Their calls fill the woods in the summer, but I've spent hours looking for them and rarely get a good look. When I do manage to see these guys, it is usually on the dark forest floor, so this presentation looks very bright to me based on my experiences. But you were there. My initial reaction was that the oof plant on the left was a distraction, but it's growing on me. Pose and perch are great. I know you're not a fan of using audio, so I assume you didn't do so here.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The day was overcast but had pockets of brighter light coming through. Bird was photographed at the edge of a campsite so bird was out in the open which is rare for these little skulkers. There was just an old log leaning near a small tree that had a bunch of moss on it (have pics of that also) and there were a pair of them flying around and calling and really paid me very little mind. Two times one of them landed on this perch. After the first time I set up near there and waited. As luck would have it, the bird came back about 20 minutes later, walked up the log looking for food and then left. Behind this was a little meadow with those flowers. I was thrilled when the bird was near the base of the log and I was able to get the flower in the background.

Lifetime Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great capture of this generally heard, but not seen bird, Isaac. Like the open crop with lots of breathing room, and I too like the out of focus flower. Beautiful BG as well.

Geoffrey

http://500px.com/geoffreymontagu

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Isaac, congrats on getting your target, and you nailed the HA here. Infact you nailed everything on him, sharpness and detail too. I have large perches everywhere in my parts, so I'm fine with yours, and that it is covered in moss. I am just finding your BG a touch on the bright side, but no one else has mentioned it.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Nicely composed Isaac, IQ is excellent and I do like the oof pastel flower in the BG, great eye contact and I like the colors too!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Sweet, the OOF flower adds so much. I wish the perch was thinner. Lovely detail throughout. I don't mind the brighter BG here.

Well done.

Will

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks everyone for the comments. William just as an FYI, these birds are shy ground dwelling birds. They spend almost all of their time walking on the dark forest floor and searching around fallen trees. Getting one out in the open and on such a tiny perch was a small miracle. The only time they really leave the forest floor is to fly about 20 feet up into a tree on the breeding grounds and claim their territory.