Thread: Mouse and Melon

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Mouse and Melon

Attached Images Attached Images

Dear Friends,

Last night I was looking through some folders from 2014 hoping to find something to entertain you with. I came across this image of a Kalahari Striped Mouse nibbling on a squashed Tsama melon. Frame was already processed long ago so all I did was to perform another round of sharpening and gave it a couple of tweaks. It is certainly not my best and was taken with old gear but the subject is adorable, I think Keith would agree ?

I captured this on a red dune in the Kalahari, the name of the place is Gharaghab. Stunning scenery and very remote - I still remember how we struggled for hours to get out of that place, we got stuck in deep soft sand a number of times. The people staying there before us did not drop the pressure in their vehicle's tyres and damaged the little path tremendously, so we ended up "making" a new road after clearing some bush. This, under the watchful eye of a big male lion lying under a tree in the distance

I should have posted this last month, sorry!

Nikon D3S
    Nikon 500 F4
    ISO 800
    F5.6
    1/1000s
    Gabriela Plesea

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the subject and that he is eating. Colours look good DOF just about OK, I would probably gone for f8, image appears pretty noise free. Very slight negative for head angle being slightly away from the camera, have a word with Keith - he talks to mice! I note the stripey markings almost alike a tiny chipmunk.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The detail looks great on the Mouse. Like the low angle and of course the melon.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you gentlemen, appreciated

Jon, if I had this opportunity now I would watch my techs The D3S was quite a good camera and I am sure I could have gone up on ISO to allow for more DoF and better SS. I also agree with you re. HA. Hope Keith sees this, it is nowhere near as much fun and sweet as his mice, but he loves the little critters as much as I do.

John, I hope to find a mouse one day munching on a melon before it has been squashed by some other creature. BTW those Tsamas are a great source of moisture and nourishment for the Kalahari animals:)
    Gabriela Plesea

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gabriela sorry to be late had a little holiday in the forest,this little chap looks lovely to me and shows up your processing skills,fur looks so nice and natural and a lovely big black eye,can't see anything I would change.When I visited the Cape a few years ago sitting in a cafe there where lots a little Mice very much like these, and think might have a picture somewhere if I can find it,would they be the same species?Show us some more if you have them Gabriela you know what a Mouse freak I am.

Keith.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

That makes the two of us ( mouse freaks) Keith!

I am sure your Cape mice are the same species, kindly email me some images when you find them. Something you need to know... There is a tiny species of rodents around here called "pigmy mice". They are about two cm long excluding tail. And they jump really high. I might need a macro if I get hold of one...And if I do, you'll be the first to know
    Have a beautiful rest of the evening Keith, many thanks for looking and kind comments
    Gabriela Plesea

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gabriela, the D3s still delivers and highlights that with good techs and updated software the old images are still just as good, if not on par with current images, good to revisit. Like the overall colour palette, POV and position in frame. I think having the slight bit of shadow also adds, well done.

TFS
    Steve

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you so much Steve, appreciated
    Gabriela Plesea