Thread: Dhole on a Roll !

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Dhole on a Roll !

Attached Images Attached Images

Hello everyone ! Thank you for all your comments and suggestions on my previous post, much appreciated !

Here is my contribution to this months theme, an Indian Wild Dog or Dhole .

Sighted a pair feeding on a Sambar Deer Kill on the backwaters of Irai, which is an important source of water for the animals of Tadoba. The light was getting bright and it was coming from one side of the subject, kind of a tricky situation. Though there is some gore here but the moment when the kill was being dragged by one of the Dog led to the head being lifted as if the Deer was still alive, this is what i particularly liked in this scene. They also had 9 pups around the area but didnt surfaced on the scene.

Looking forward for your comments and suggestions of any nature .

DPP 4.5, CS6, WB, selective colour, levels, reduced the exp of the BKG and FG, cropped from Lhs, top and bottom, sharpening.

Canon 1DX MK II,Canon 500mm f4 L IS II, Bean Bag.

1/1600 sec; f/5.0; ISO 2500.

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello Haseeb,

Thank you for sharing this, certainly not gory for me and a fantastic sighting! I really like the POV and expression from the Dhole, this is what makes this image IMO. Frame perhaps a bit tight on the RHS but so glad you managed to include the head of the deer:)

Just curious, can you remember what metering mode you used at the time? Some HL visible on the L side of the Dhole but I still think you handled this rather well under the circumstances, colours look good and there's nice detail on the face of the subject.

And I hope you have more from this scene, Haseeb. Quite enticing and I wish to see more, been staring at this frame the whole evening, love those eyes...

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

3. Thanks haseeb badar thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

This looks very good to me, Haseeb. Only negative is the blown highlights on the right side (as viewed - guessing these weren't recoverable) of the dog but the rest is great. That determined look on the dog's face, the airborne fragments and particularly the pose and capture angle, with the antelope's head shown. Eyes and head look nice and sharp and not bothered by the limited DOF.

5. Thanks haseeb badar thanked for this post
    Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Haseeb, the eye level POV makes it for me, love the determination expressed on the face. The body posture also works as it conveys that pulling/tugging/tearing motion. DoF looks good, but you must watch for blown highlights, get that Highlight enabled and keep checking the Histogram, it will save those images. I would also suggest you upgrade to PSCC 2018 if your computer can take the upgrade as you have great camera kit, but the processing will be better with the upgrade.

TFS
    Steve

PS There is an upgrade to DPP 4.8

7. Thanks haseeb badar thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you Gabriela, Glenn and Steve !

@ Gabriela -- I generally use evaluative metering , and am pretty sure it was the same during that time. Certainly a few more from that sighting , routine portraits rather , but will definitely share here.

@ Steve -- Yes, it is indeed advisable to get that highlights enabled, it definitely helps, and it would have definitely made a difference here. And am thinking for that CC upgrade also. Thank you for letting me know abt the DPP update .

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

And am thinking for that CC upgrade also.
    Haseeb, within the bundle package you can also get LR too, however if you are happy with DPP fine, I'm not going to get you to swop, but just to ponder...

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I am pretty content with DPP but open to try new softwares.